Lowest preferred magnification for 1000-1200yds?

CarbonLead

What magnification do you guys prefer for 1000yard+ shots? I have ran across a couple of deals for 14-18x scopes but wasn't sure about using them at longer ranges.

I am a big fan of magnification, I prefer 25X or more out that far but it can be done with 15-18 power if the glass is good. I would say forget the deals take the plange you will never regret spending more for quality, you will always regret pinching pennies and getting sub par glass.

I have a 6.5-20 and I shoot out to 1600+ yards with it, on a 12x20 steel torso target, and while I can do it just fine and make hits, 25x would be nice once past 1200 yards. under 1200, 20x is fine just fine. I shoot 1000 with a 16x PST and it's not bad at all, shooting at steel targets MOA or slightly bigger. But as eklarsen said, glass quality will make more difference than magnification. An el-cheapo 8-32x scope will get its butt kicked by a 5-20 Vortex Razor as far as being able to see your target and place good shots.

It's not just about magnification power , it's also about image quality .
A high quality scope with great image quality and definition can use a bit less magnification power and be just as good .
A lot depends on the detail you want to see and aim at .
An Elk at 1000 needs less magnification than aiming at a prairie dog at 1000 .
Depending on how good your eyes are off course .
As you get older generally you need more magnification .
In a variable scope it is nice to have that extra zoom in power just to check out a target even if you zoom back a bit to actually take the shot .
Scopes with good long range capabilities are not cheap , it the extreme end of the sport and the good stuff will always be expensive .
I would go 6-24 x 50 .

Depends if it is a target or animal. Sure is easy to loose sight picture on an animal with high magnification before and after a shot...targets no problem. I like no more than 20 and 15 to 18 is about perfect for my use.

I love magnification, but I look at it this way. Can you shoot a 2" bull at 100 with a 1x? 10x is plenty to make an accurate shot at 1k. It's all about personal preference though.

Depends if it is a target or animal. Sure is easy to loose sight picture on an animal with high magnification before and after a shot...targets no problem. I like no more than 20 and 15 to 18 is about perfect for my use.

A good brake sure helps. I made a brake for my .270 with which I can see impacts at 100 yards on 20X. The bullet is a 110 at 3,500 feet per second.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.