Looking for consistent 270 ammo

Highvoltage

Looking for 270 win ammo that's accurate and consistent. I understand it's all gun specific, but does anyone have a factory ammo that shoots well in just about any 270 they have tried. Looking to try a few different options, problem is it will need ordered and shipped in so I'm trying to narrow down a few things. Hornady eldx, federal terminal ascent, Hornady accubonds, Barnes ttsx or lrx. This will be for fall elk hunting. This isn't a which bullet is best for elk but a factory offering that shoots well in many rifles. All these bullets will do the job with a good shot placement. Thanks for looking and best wishes.

We have about ten model 70 270s in the family.

Specifically for 270, hornady of any flavor, just hasn't shot very well.

Cheap federal vital shok 130s have been decent and is our main choice for deer if not using handloads. Usually around an inch at hundred yards. The 130 fusions are pretty decent as well.

Did try the terminal ascent last year and weren't that great for accuracy. Nephew shot heavy buck at 60 yards and had good sized exit lung shot and good blood trail.

The 140 hybrid hunter Federal round didn't shoot that great either.

Remington core lokt are usually touch over an inch.

Some cartridges seem to have lots of factory ammo that is accurate [6.5 cm is one]

270 win factory ammo just doesn't seem to be very accurate.

Hand loads are a whole different ball game and usually very easy to shrink factory groups in half in a given rifle.

If you are looking for under 300 yard factory option with elk, pretty much anything will work. I would lean towards 150 gr federal fusion.

My buddy has used sig sauer elite ammo and it's been amazing. Not in 270, but two other calibers. I see they have a 150 grain accubond version. Might be worth a try.

Last edited:
I have shot 140 game changers and they shoot very well with my handloads. I'm just getting to the point where I don't have the time to reload as much as I'd like and would like to find a factory option. Any flat base usually does well in the accuracy dept. I'll have to give the fusions a look as well.

Hornady Superformance has done great in my 5 different 270's. Keep the SST 's in the ribs though, they don't like heavier bone 🦴

Federal Fusion. Some like the 130s, some the 150s, but it's accurate.

Federal Trophy Copper. Accurate, and I'd not hesitate on elk to 400 yards.

Unfortunately, as you know, it's all rifle specific. I have accumulated 10 different boxes/brands of factory ammo for the 270 here, and use them for testing in various rifles. Rarely do I find that two like the same ammo, even for the same make and model of rifle.

Unfortunately, as you know, it's all rifle specific. I have accumulated 10 different boxes/brands of factory ammo for the 270 here, and use them for testing in various rifles. Rarely do I find that two like the same ammo, even for the same make and model of rifle.
Yes and it don't take long to accumulate a bunch of stuff that don't shoot well. Anyone have any experience with the new federal terminal ascents? It's too bad nosler don't reload their 140 accubond in their line, usually their stuff is pretty accurate.

1-10 is the twist for most factory 270s, that limits what bullets it will shoot well. Generally 130s are best for the 270. I have shot the 140 Game Changer and it shoots about MOA.
I tried hand loading the 150 ABLR and they just wouldn't stabilize in my rifle.
Am working up a load with the LRX 129 for that rifle. Should shoot well.

Anyone have any experience with the new federal terminal ascents?
Again, I have one rifle that loves them, another does not.
If you can find them, they are worth testing.

Ironically the one that doesn't like them LOVES the Edge TLR, which is the previous version of the bullet. Unfortunately they don't make it any more, and my supply is small.