Looking for a good rifle stock replacement choice

stljc2

Hi all,

So I'm looking to change my mid 80's wood stock on my Rem M700 BDL in .308 Win. I would like a DBM, light weight stock. Don't want a cheap plastic model or something that will require a lot of modifications. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Need it light weight for hunting. Thank you all in advance.

Also, IMO, wood stocks are usually 2-2.5 lbs. BDL is 0.75lb. So, you need something combined under 3.25lbs.

KRG is great, but 3.5lbs and plastic feeling.

B&C will make a good replacement.

There are lighter, but often the weight reduction comes from the butt. So, the balance can be off without a pencil barrel.

What style dbm are you planning on using?
Do you have a grip preference?
Position you usually hunt from?
Budget?
Style dbm and grip preference aren't important to me. I'm adaptable. Position I hunt from varies also...most of the time I stand hunt but spot and stalk happens when the weather gets to warm for much movement. So it to varies. Budget is flexible. If I see something I like and is a real good fit it could happen.

Ag, pick your barrel profile and dbm and pic your favorite style. Same for manners, mcmillan and even now stockys and so many more. It's a short action rem 700 do options are endless.

All make a good synthetic stock. Find one that catches your eye, try and get hands on and go from there.

KRG isn't bad I've had 2 of them, but I'm going to give MDT's new Field Stock a try on the Turkey Day sale. $299 right now and will probably be a deal too good for me to pass up come Nov. Given no plastic though the MDT hunting carbon chassis is so choice my buddy has one on his 300WM and it's awesome with the folding stock.

I will add that I ordered a Remington BDL bottom metal also and will be inletted to M5 bottom for an extra 50.00
Takes 8 weeks to get one made so I got a lot of time.
Grayboe also has bottom metal for detachable mags also.

it's going to be a SA 700 footprint with a dbm, spend some extra cash for a nice one because it will probably end up on another rifle eventually and a lot of things will fit it.

I like the game warden and game hunters from McMillan in carbon fiber and some edge fill.

Hi all,

So I'm looking to change my mid 80's wood stock on my Rem M700 BDL in .308 Win. I would like a DBM, light weight stock. Don't want a cheap plastic model or something that will require a lot of modifications. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Need it light weight for hunting. Thank you all in advance.
please define what's lightweight to you? To me that begins @ 28 ounces

also curious as to why a DBM if you wish to have a lightweight hunt rifle?

Last edited:
please define what's lightweight to you? To me that begins @ 28 ounces

also curious as to why a DBM if you wish to have a lightweight hunt rifle?
Thanks for your reply. I'm new to this whole modified factory firearm stuff so ok 28 oz is pretty light to me and that would be fine. A dbm seems to me to be a good option for versatility. Realistically I've only had one with it. It's ok and convenient for setting up for the hunt with preloaded mags. It seems that the option to use a dbm in today's market might make it worth more. Seeing I'm 70 and winding down some whoever gets this rifle (children, nephew's, brothers sisters ect) after I pass may appreciate the option. Yeah...I'm thinking I would like to be remembered any time they hunt. Also not having a dbm isn't a deal breaker.

Also, IMO, wood stocks are usually 2-2.5 lbs. BDL is 0.75lb. So, you need something combined under 3.25lbs.

KRG is great, but 3.5lbs and plastic feeling.

B&C will make a good replacement.

There are lighter, but often the weight reduction comes from the butt. So, the balance can be off without a pencil barrel.
Thank you for your reply. This I did not know. I understand the unbalanced thing. I have a muzzle loader that way. Thanks for the tid bit. I'll take a look at the B&C's.

Ag, pick your barrel profile and dbm and pic your favorite style. Same for manners, mcmillan and even now stockys and so many more. It's a short action rem 700 do options are endless.

All make a good synthetic stock. Find one that catches your eye, try and get hands on and go from there.
This I shall do. Thank you for your reply.

KRG isn't bad I've had 2 of them, but I'm going to give MDT's new Field Stock a try on the Turkey Day sale. $299 right now and will probably be a deal too good for me to pass up come Nov. Given no plastic though the MDT hunting carbon chassis is so choice my buddy has one on his 300WM and it's awesome with the folding stock.
Thanks...I'll check out the MDT's. Appreciate the responce.