Looking at trousers

Adikted

I'm looking for a good pair of wool trousers, currently comparing the:
Llbean Maine guide pants with primaloft,

The Woolrich wool hunting pant

And the cabelas merino Wool-tech pant

Planing to wear as an outer layer when it's cold or under a Bib when it's darn cold.

Anyone want to weigh in?

Have no experience with the pants you have listed so my info may not be of any use. Mentored my grandson on a late season cow hunt last year. Had about a foot of snow and the temp was running from about negative 20 up to about 0. I wore a pair of Columbia wool pants with a lite pair of Merino wool long johns underneath. Worked very well never cold and as long as we didn't try and set speed records while hiking stayed dry. Not sure that helps. Good luck

Wind will pierce even heavy "Woolrich type" hunting pants.

I prefer Duluth Trading "Dry-on-the-Fly" fleece lined nylon cargo pants. Tougher, lighter, very wind resistant, dry fast and only around $90. The Very best winter pants I've ever owned. Many nice details and high quality.

Eric B.

I figured a lot of American hunters would be into brand like KUIU, I love their pants for here in Australia and NZ.

I've hunted in good wool pants in wet and freezing coastal conditions. Not a big problem if your going home and can dry them out but if not, they can be frozen solid as a thick board the next day. I like wool but only in very cold/dry conditions.

Mike 338 is keerect, wool is a sponge. It may feel "kinda dry" when wet but it gets heavy and still conducts your body heat away. Synthetic clothes are very advanced these days. Reputable companies like Sitka, The North Face, Cabela's etc. have excellent, durable, well designed winter clothing.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.