Looking at Smokeless options

Thank you for the replies so far. For me weight is an issue as this will primarily be used on public land with long walks with all gear. For the area I will be hunting a long shot would be 200 yards with 70-100 being the norm. Still undecided but after reading the above I am leaning more toward the lighter option.

Thank you for the replies so far. For me weight is an issue as this will primarily be used on public land with long walks with all gear. For the area I will be hunting a long shot would be 200 yards with 70-100 being the norm. Still undecided but after reading the above I am leaning more toward the lighter option.
Might consider the Woodman Patriot rifle.

For 200ish range, the CVA 45/70 converted to smokeless would probably be plenty. A word of warning though, the CVAs seem inconsistent on barrel quality(Bergara barrels). Mine was terrible as far as sizing over the length of the barrel. It doesn't shoot anywhere near as well as a well built(Bartlein barreled) bolt action smokeless, but is a lot cheaper and lighter.

For 200ish range, the CVA 45/70 converted to smokeless would probably be plenty. A word of warning though, the CVAs seem inconsistent on barrel quality(Bergara barrels). Mine was terrible as far as sizing over the length of the barrel. It doesn't shoot anywhere near as well as a well built(Bartlein barreled) bolt action smokeless, but is a lot cheaper and lighter.
My experience with mine also.

I went down this rabbit hole about a decade ago. I started off with a few Savage MLII and various 45/70 conversions [Encore, H&R, CVA] and have done 3-4 heavier builds on R700s. I actually just sold a Hankins custom on the classifieds here last week. After all of that, I have settled on having two rigs for the variety of hunting I do. In a given year I'll hunt a number of whitetail states w/ stands, saddles, blinds that give shots from 50-150y to 600+ and some still hunting and drives thrown in as well. Having a lighter rig for tree stands, hiking and sub 350y shots and then a second for blinds and spots where longer shots are possible. I currently have a CVA Scout Hankins conversion [pic below] and a custom #6 Brux 26" - Mesa Prec. action, TriggerTech etc. Both are set up w/ Vortex Razor 3-15x42 HD LHT.

I'd suggest someone start off with one of the Hankins CVA conversions. I've had the SS and CM Scouts [also formerly, Hunter]. All 5+ that I have had or set up for friends, have shot extremely well. Doesn't seem to be a problem to get a 275gr bullet up to 2,500-2,600 fps and consistently subMOA w/ H or IMR 4198.

Pics of pretty typical groups and field results with these things.

Attachments

• IMG_7308.jpeg
    IMG_7308.jpeg
    819.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6903.jpeg
    IMG_6903.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I went down this rabbit hole about a decade ago. I started off with a few Savage MLII and various 45/70 conversions [Encore, H&R, CVA] and have done 3-4 heavier builds on R700s. I actually just sold a Hankins custom on the classifieds here last week. After all of that, I have settled on having two rigs for the variety of hunting I do. In a given year I'll hunt a number of whitetail states w/ stands, saddles, blinds that give shots from 50-150y to 600+ and some still hunting and drives thrown in as well. Having a lighter rig for tree stands, hiking and sub 350y shots and then a second for blinds and spots where longer shots are possible. I currently have a CVA Scout Hankins conversion [pic below] and a custom #6 Brux 26" - Mesa Prec. action, TriggerTech etc. Both are set up w/ Vortex Razor 3-15x42 HD LHT.

I'd suggest someone start off with one of the Hankins CVA conversions. I've had the SS and CM Scouts [also formerly, Hunter]. All 5+ that I have had or set up for friends, have shot extremely well. Doesn't seem to be a problem to get a 275gr bullet up to 2,500-2,600 fps and consistently subMOA w/ H or IMR 4198.

Pics of pretty typical groups and field results with these things.
Woodman patriot 5 lbs