Question about smokeless options

codybrown

I came across smokelessmuzzleloading.com and did a little reading on their site and see that they are making a barrel for the TC Encores. What I'm wondering is can I use my current Encore barrel with sabots and a reduced load from their load data safely, or am I missing something?

I came across smokelessmuzzleloading.com and did a little reading on their site and see that they are making a barrel for the TC Encores. What I'm wondering is can I use my current Encore barrel with sabots and a reduced load from their load data safely, or am I missing something?

IMO........ No.

NO. You are missing the fact BP barrels are made to handle BP pressures and smokeless barrels are made to handle smokeless pressures.

NO NO NO They have a 45/70 barrel you convert to smokeless with the savage breech plug slufoot on dougs message board will do the work for you. he has done a lot and does great work. getting the barrel sometimes is what takes so long.

THE ABOVE LOADS ARE FOR MUZZLELOADERS MADE BY
SMOKELESS MUZZLELOADING INC. ONLY!!

So I would not use your original barrel to shoot smokeless powder without sending it to SMOKELESS MUZZLELOADING INC.. Here is a first hand experience to think about. Remember when there was an adapter for side locks to use small rifle primers? You screwed out the nipple and screwed in the adapter and used small rifle primers. Regular load of pyrodex powder and lead bullet and the pressure was enough to come back through the adapter and blow the hammer backwards breaking the spring and lock. Happened on about the 50th shot, which happened to be in the middle of the wilderness during a deer hunt. The bullet hit about 2' below the deer at 100 yards. I don't think they make the adapter anymore so I am sure my dad is not the only one it happened to.

With smokeless powder .007" difference is enough to rupture a barrel by increasing pressure enough. Saw the aftermath of somebody reloading and mixing up a 7mm and .270, .284 and .277 makes a difference of .007" so the 7mm was loaded in a .270 case and the barrel looked like a peeled banana and the stock came apart and embedded in the guys face and hand.

THERE ARE STILL PLENTY OF SAVAGE SMOKELESS POWDER RIFLES OUT THERE. JUST SAW ONE THE OTHER DAY FOR AROUND 700.00. I OWN A MLll ss thumhole version, and it's deadly accurate. last kill at 412 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.