Looking at Smokeless options

Skeeter05

A Smokeless muzzleloader is a completely new subject to me. Where I live there is an area that muzzleloaders are the only rifle allowed for the entire season. I currently own an inline that works fine (except for the cleaning). I was looking into upgrading and smokeless seems like the way to go.

I'm not wanting to break the bank but I am wanting to purchase a quality rifle. A bolt action seems to be the best option but definitely open to other options. I am trying to stay away from smith work if possible as there is no reputable smith in my area that doesn't have a ridiculous wait time. Also it seems a 45 cal would be the better option than the 50?

Long story short I am looking for advice from people that have went down this road and can shorten the learning curve for me.

I just went down that route a couple of months ago. I purchased a CVA Scout 45-70 conversion to smokeless. Most folks in the smokless community say this rifle is a 300 yard shooter, however I have not shot over a 130 yards with it yet. That is the range I shot an 8 pointer this year. I literally went out and shot a few shots to get the scope dialed in and the next day….boom.

For more information, you can check out a forum named "Hanks Message Board", which is mostly dedicated to the muzzleloader world. If I can be of more assistance, PM your contact number and I will give you a call. Good luck.

Focus on what your expected max distance is and if you'll be carrying your gun around.

I have a cva optima v2 that is light and with burris fullfield ii 3-9x40 the bdc reticle lines up perfect. I have 100% confidence in it out to 250 yards. This uses bh209 with the different breech plug.

I also bought an arrowhead smokeless. It is a heavy beast but incredibly accurate and fun to shoot.

If you are looking at a more handy rifle out to 2-300 yards hit up Rick above about the 45-70 conversion he did.

If you are going to be sitting on fields with 400 yard shots very likely look at a full custom from arrowhead or hankins.

A want to buy ad right about now could also produce a pretty reasonable second hand smokeless. Just make sure you know what you are getting.

Here is my barreled action from arrowhead. Ag stock with factory installed pillars, no bedding. It is heavy. I won't be hiking around with it. It is for stand hunting on fields.

Barreled action was on black Friday special last year for $2300, stock was $700. About another $300 for extra supplies.

Here is my first ten shots out of it. White dot is 3/4 inch. I just used the suggested load from arrowhead.

1000032923.jpg

1000032924.jpg

Here is my barreled action from arrowhead. Ag stock with factory installed pillars, no bedding. It is heavy. I won't be hiking around with it. It is for stand hunting on fields.

Barreled action was on black Friday special last year for $2300, stock was $700. About another $300 for extra supplies.

Here is my first ten shots out of it. White dot is 3/4 inch. I just used the suggested load from arrowhead.

View attachment 519836

View attachment 519837
What distance was the above shot?

Smokeless has my interest.. I'm in a strait wall rife state, while some of the strait wall boomers are good out to 250-300 yrds I'm looking for something with more range and energy without the corrosion mess that comes with typical muzzleloader

I'm eyeing one on this site that's forsale…has my name all over it…….
But want to do more research…
How often do you clean your barrels in smokeless?

For me, I'm a nut case about a clean rifle. However, I also shoot both BH209 and SML. If I plan to shoot SML again in a day or two, the only thing I do is run a brush down the barrel.
With BH, the only time I don't clean after a session is when I'm competing for a few days in a row. However I will swab it clean after the days relays, but not a complete clean.