Longrange w/an Austin and Halleck

royinidaho

Got an Austin and Halleck nickel and Tupperware.

jBM/shooter says I can get a 300 or 240 to 400 yards with close to 5 mil drop w/a 200 yard zero.

Put a Weaver 4.5-14 mil dot tactical on. Sure do like that scope.

110 gr (volume) get 2200 FPS MV which will get to 400 with under 5 mils drop.

The objective is to put the first "hunting" shot on a paper plate @ 400.

What's the odds of success?

Any pointers would be appreciated...

Got an Austin and Halleck nickel and Tupperware.
jBM/shooter says I can get a 300 or 240 to 400 yards with close to 5 mil drop w/a 200 yard zero.
Put a Weaver 4.5-14 mil dot tactical on. Sure do like that scope.
110 gr (volume) get 2200 FPS MV which will get to 400 with under 5 mils drop.
The objective is to put the first "hunting" shot on a paper plate @ 400.

What's the odds of success?
Any pointers would be appreciated...

With my Ultimate Firearms rifle, I shoot the 300gr SST with a BC of .250 and a muzzle velocity of 2,350fps. Using a 200yd zero, the bullet drops approximately 48" at 400yds.

It has a Leupold VX6, 3-18x50, illuminated dot and custom matched turret (CDS).

On paper you can do quite good. On animals here in Idaho you can do good with that set up if you do not get caught. Don't we love the Idaho Fish and Game laws.:rolleyes:

Whatdaya mean "If you do not get caught."?

I'm talking "any weapon" hunt.

I'm setting this thing up for my son in law who ain't allowed, for some legal reason, to only have a ML in possession.

I doubt it will ever shoot at game at that distance.

On paper you can do quite good. On animals here in Idaho you can do good with that set up if you do not get caught. Don't we love the Idaho Fish and Game laws.:rolleyes:

Maybe some day? It takes a huge effort on someone or preferable a groups part, to put the information together and make an attempt to change it. Under most circumstances, if the information can be compiled and presented to the state, showing that the state will benefit financially, sometimes they listen. Notice I stated, "sometimes"?

Encore I see you use the 300gr SST ....how does it perform on game at the closer ranges ? I've heard some mixed replies of their on game performance.

Encore I see you use the 300gr SST ....how does it perform on game at the closer ranges ? I've heard some mixed replies of their on game performance.

I haven't hunted with the rifle yet or SST, as I just bought it this spring. The SST is by far the most accurate bullet I've yet to shoot from it. The PT Gold bullets will not shoot from it, no matter what Harvester or MMP sabot I try. I've shot the Parker BE's from it, which at longer ranges won't match the SST in group sizes. I've dropped the charges and shot both the Barnes 250 and 290gr TMZ bullets with both accurate at slower speeds. However the sabots won't hold up to a full 180gr charge.

Yesterday I received 100 new SST's and a sample pack of the 290gr Barnes flat based T-EZ bullets from Luke. I've been told that the Barnes 290 shoots well using the H5045LB sabot. However I am going to knurl 5 of them and try those first. The SST is .452 where the Barnes is .451, so I thought I better knurl a few before heading to the club to shoot. I did get some knurling on them but I really need two new course files.

I've shot and hunted with nothing but Barnes for a very long time, and it is my preferred hunting bullet. If these 290's will hold a decent group at 300yds, I'll be through with the SST bullets.

Which sabot do you use with the SST's , I find the EZ Load Traditions sabots fit a tad tight in the barrel.
Reason I'm asking about the performance of the SST is because over here in Africa we only have real black and as a result our velocities are much lower than what you're getting with T7.

Which sabot do you use with the SST's , I find the EZ Load Traditions sabots fit a tad tight in the barrel.
Reason I'm asking about the performance of the SST is because over here in Africa we only have real black and as a result our velocities are much lower than what you're getting with T7.

I use the Harvester H5045LB with the SST's in my Ultimate. You might try the Harvester crushed rib, which should load easier.

Final results.

Replaced cap with 209 shotgun primer thingie.

Tried T7 fffg. and 250 SSTs w/sabot Velocity spreads were the pits. Accuracy wasn't all that good.

Went to T7 pellets. Two pellets gave 1865 FPS at the chrono. Dismal…

Three pellets resulted in 2165 at the chrono. Three shots ES was 10. Wholly cow!!!!

Didn't shoot for group. Didn't have too. I mounted my ancient Weaver 4.5-14x42 w/Mil reticle which is tried and truly one of the finest scopes ever made. I chose it as the 250 or 300 45/50 SST can get to 400 with well under 5 mils of drop. Thus no clicking.

My first shot with two pellets hit on the target. I adjusted the reticle to move it to the point of impact.

The next shot, with 3 pellets, went spot on for elevation an 4 MOA left. I put a mark on the windage turret in order to keep track of adjustment. I cranked it a ways w/o counting clicks. This scope messes with my mind as it has 1/8 minute clicks. Thus I just cranked it a bunch to the right.

I fired the shot. Perfect horizontal right movement. Sweet! Not far enough though. Checked the number of clicks the turret was moved. POI was perfect for the clicks moved, considering the width of a 45 cal hole.:)

Cranked'r over about the same amount. POI of this shot again coincided within the width of the caliber with the number of clicks.

Seeing as I'm not going to be the fella that hunts with this thing I stopped there. This will force him to check the 100 yard zero which should have a POI of exactly 1.5 MILs high to put it dead on 5 MILs at 390 yards at our elevation.

He will have to check his own drops as I flat don't have time and he needs the experience.

Also, note that a windex patch was put through the bore between each shot.

If these three shots were for group it would have been one heck of a hole but the ctc distance is right puny. Definitely paper plate capable, first cold, clean bore shot at 400.

I delivered the rig. We'll see how it goes from here.

I know I can hit an elk at 300 yards, but I've been dissatisfied with the terminal bullet performance past 100 yards. Even at 100 yards, I seldom get complete pass through, so a shot right before sundown usually means you don't find the elk until the next day, if you find it at all, and once a bear found it before I did. I've tried Precision Rifle Dead Centers & QTs, Barnes, Hornady FPB, and SSTs. None of them have given me the terminal performance I'd like.

I just read a PBS Archives of the West called "The Buffalo Harvest"
by Frank H. Mayer with Charles B. Roth He routinely made shots at 300 yards on bison, and would drop most of them with one shot. He was using a 550 gr. bullet with a BHN somewhere between 10 and 11 (not hard-cast). He was launching these with a 120 gr. load of English made powder.

I believe that muzzleloader bullets are too light. E. Arthur Brown claims that a sectional density of about .280 is about perfect. My experience bears this out. None of the major muzzleloader bullet manufacturers make a bullet that heavy.

I'm shooting some 450 and 500 gr. bullets in my Kahnke muzzleloader (twist 1:26), but haven't found an accurate load yes. But I'll say that a 500 gr. bullet with 100 grs. of 777 (muzzle velocity of 1470 fps) kicks less than a 400 gr. bullet with 150 gr. of 777.

Randy Garrett of Garrett Cartridge Co. claims that penetration for a .458 bullet is maximum at around 1250 fps.

The reason magnums became so popular is that their point blank range is so long. Just point and shoot. With the advent of laser rangefinders and compensating rifle scopes, it just isn't that big a deal to hit long range targets with a bullet that flies in a rainbow arc.

Terminal Ballistics Research out of New Zealand has done a lot of wound research. His claim is that the flat meplat on the front of a bullet causes an inordinate amount of damage, much more than a pointed tip or round nose.

If penetration is optimal at lower velocity, and wound damage is extensive with a flat front bullet, then it seems to me I should be shooting the heaviest flat point bullet I can stabilize, and shooting it at a moderate velocity. Anyway, that's where I'm headed for my next elk hunt. I just ordered a couple of Lee molds in .457 dia and 405 and 450 grains.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.