long range

kj1411

Just getting into long range shooting....got a howa axiom in 308...was wondering about the scope to put on it....been looking at a few reviews but still not sure....any help would be helpful ....and good ammo....really excited about this....just want to get a good start....I am very accurate with my river 25-06....thanks for the help

I'm gonna get into long range shooting...just looking for a good starter scope..something to get my feet wet....not top dollar or bottom....something right in the middle should work...I'm from east Texas and have a few friends getting into the long range shooting...not hunting just target shooting for now

Here are my general recommendations:

For variable power scopes look at a magnification range of somewhere between 5x to 25x. The scope on my longrange rifle is an 8.5-25x50. (I tink my thread says 6.x5-20x50, but it has been upgraded although 6.5-20x50 is good too)

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

Variable power scopes tend to be more expensive than fixed power scopes. If you go with a fixed power, look at 16x or 20x

As for brands, look at Leupold, Sightron and Bushnell.

For fixed power scopes, look to spend $200 to $600.

For a variable power scope, look to spend $500 to $900

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.