Long range scope support

Bubby

I am new to shooting long range. I have a VX III Leupold 6.5 x 20 on a 7MM Rem Mag. I am planning to send it to Leupold to have turrets installed with hopes that I will be able to turn the turret to the proper yardage. Is this a good scope to do this with?

Bubby

That approach will introduce errors into your long range shots because the yardages marked on the turret will be approximately correct depending on the pressure, temp at your location. A better approach is to use a ballistics program like iSnipe ($5 download to your iPhone) and a Kestral weather meter to get precise dial ups. This approach can support any bullet you care to use so you are not stuck with the one you used to make the custom turrets.

Have a look at Kenton Industries. They make custom turrets for your VX3. I suggest what they call their "military" format, which gives you your custom drops, but also retains the MOA scale. I have several of these on various rifles with Vortex scopes

Attachments

• Turret examples 004.JPG
    Turret examples 004.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Turret examples 005.JPG
    Turret examples 005.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 72
  • Turret examples 003.JPG
    Turret examples 003.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 79
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.