Long Range Scope: 50 or 56mm objective?

WildcatB

I've finally decided to get a Nightforce NXS 5.5 x 22 for long range shooting. My goal is to shoot past 1500 yards.

I'd appreciate some input on which objective size to get. I know the 56mm will let in more light, but other than that, is there a reason to get one? The only draw backs I can think of are that they are heavier and I'd most likely need some kind of cheek piece. The cost is the same.

Are there any other benefits and/or disadvantages of getting the 56mm objective over the 50mm??

I believe the difference in weight is only an ounce, so that wouldn't worry me.

I don't know whether the larger diameter objective would require taller rings on your rifle. Many view that as a downside.

I'll never buy another scope with a 56mm objective. I have mine mounted as low as I could, but felt the cheek weld still suffered. If you don't mind getting an adjustable cheek piece, you may be just fine. I like smaller objectives that allow me to keep everything low. Just my .02

I'm actually trying to make up my mind on the very same issue. The only difference I see between the 50 and 56; the 56 comes in 1 ounce heavier and the eye relief of the 50 is 3.7 in vs. 3.9 for the 56. Basically, there is no difference.

The field of view is actually the same between the 50 and 56. I own 3 NF Scopes all 56mm, all of which are the bench rest models(end adjustable objective). I have all of these mounted w/ extra high rings. I use Eagle stock packs on all of my rifles and get a great cheek weld with these packs.

However, this time I plan to go with the NXS 5.5-22X50. I hope someone will chime in with their opinion on the light gathering issue between the 50 and 56.

Jimbo ,your on the right track with your choice of scope,i personally would recomend the NSX 8x32 or 12x42 56 for longrange use.
I'm actually trying to make up my mind on the very same issue. The only difference I see between the 50 and 56; the 56 comes in 1 ounce heavier and the eye relief of the 50 is 3.7 in vs. 3.9 for the 56. Basically, there is no difference.

The field of view is actually the same between the 50 and 56. I own 3 NF Scopes all 56mm, all of which are the bench rest models(end adjustable objective). I have all of these mounted w/ extra high rings. I use Eagle stock packs on all of my rifles and get a great cheek weld with these packs.

However, this time I plan to go with the NXS 5.5-22X50. I hope someone will chime in with their opinion on the light gathering issue between the 50 and 56.

Jimbo ,your on the right track with your choice of scope,i personally would recomend the NSX 8x32 or 12x42 56 for longrange use.

The 5.5-22 has 100 MOA vertical adjustment range while the 8x32 has 65 MOA range, which can be limiting for the the real long range stuff, although a 40 MOA base will help for sure.

Another consideration here would be exit pupil diameter. A 56mm objective lens will give you a larger exit pupil diameter at higher power which is much less frustrating, especially in low light conditions. For this reason I chose 56mm over 50mm. Having said that, more glass usually costs more money...

Recent Posts