Long range camera

In the market for a camera to record/see shots out to 1000yds

Any recommendations would be great
Thanks
Mike
I use a Nikon P1000 and the Longshot camera…only down side I have found for the longshot cam is you need to get it up about 3' to really reach you with a good connection/video at a 1000 plus

Last edited:
Used the phone / spotter but was a challenge at 1000 yards with paper. Steel no issues. Switched to longshot and its fabulous BUT you need a big target - you can't see misses with it like you can with the spotter and phone video. The longshot does video but frame rate too slow to see dirt splash of misses.

You don't want to magnify an image from 1000yrds, it'll just be a wavy mess of mirage. Phone scope through a spotting scope "works" but image quality is trash if there's any air movement at all. If you want to have video of your hits and good quality video at that, then place a go-pro or fly a drone close to the target. You can see hits with a spotting scope but if you want to "watch" hits afterward, go the localized camera route.

Longshot camera system
I use mine out to 1000yds on my own range
Saves a ton of time
Allows shooting paper at a 1000 yards. I use 1" light green painters tape for watermark. Easy to measure vertical dispersion
Works flawlessly
It would be a difficult system to use on a public range

The reason I like a simple iPhone adapter on my spotting scope is that I can easily adjust it for various gongs at which I shoot. I use the video option. At 70x on my spotter, I can see exactly where my bullet strikes - or more importantly, where I miss in high wind conditions. Without a video, you have no idea if you hit left or right if you don't see the bullet impact. Twice it has explained otherwise perfect wind calls that were misses due to failure to turn the turret.

You don't want to magnify an image from 1000yrds, it'll just be a wavy mess of mirage. Phone scope through a spotting scope "works" but image quality is trash if there's any air movement at all. If you want to have video of your hits and good quality video at that, then place a go-pro or fly a drone close to the target. You can see hits with a spotting scope but if you want to "watch" hits afterward, go the localized camera route.
Haven't tried a drone, but would anticipate the flight instability would be bad for detailed impact clarity without image stabilizer. If using a drone, remember the trace arc coming in through your drone airspace. You get no Red Baron patches for shooting your own drone down. :) :) :) If you put a camera at the target downrange, develop a bullet trap between shooter and camera. We use AR500 plates angled downward into a sand filled excavated hole, bottom lip of plate braced on front lip of hole. Transmitter tripod offset out of any potential bullet path with connecting cable recessed in shallow trench. Trap is better than LongShot's bullet proof warranty where. if you do shoot your camera, you get rewarded with no camera for extended periods while you attempt to use the warranty. Apply their warranty cost on the bullet trap and save the hassle.