Loading to a prescribed recipe with new components

The Oregonian

On my new rifle, either a 30-06 or 280, I am going to get someone to develop a load for it (i.e. they take my rifle and develop the load specifically for my individual rifle).

My question is this - if I get the recipe and start reloading (I have never done it before), I would obviously need to buy the same components, powder, etc he used. But having heard that powder, bullets, etc change some from lot to lot.

Would the recipe need tweaking if I were to get into reloading and follow the recipe? I would be looking to take game out to 400-500 and anything beyond that would be target practice.

Thx.

I would advise you to be present when this load is worked up using YOUR components. You should be present to verify the accuracy of the final load. Then when the load has been proven for accuracy there will be no question of the veracity of what was used to get the rifle/load to work. I do not call anyone a liar but when I am dealing with something that can wreak havoc on my life or my costly equipment I verify, sometimes a person can make human error and I want to reduce the chance for it as much as humanly possible.

That is not really possible, I don't think. I have a rifle on order from Darrell Holland and am going to get him to work up a load. Based on reputation I completely trust him, so the original question stands.

Remember the adage about 'give one a fish and feed him for a day, teach him to fish and feed him for life'? You already mention you are thinking about getting into reloading. All the effort you put into guiding another to develop loads for you can be channeled into you learning to reload.

The 30-06 is straight forward with lots of data and an assortment of components. I wouldn't start off worrying about 500 yard shots, just mid pressure, reliable reloads. Yes it may take you a while to assemble proper tools and components, very doable though.

The very 1st step could be some reading, 'The ABC's of Reloading' or a big name reloading manual like Sierra. Summer is almost here, the perfect time.

To your original question, yes you could almost duplicate a load from someone else. There can be a handful of small techniques that can vary between loaders though. You could get rather close to the original load. Just to back up, precise shooting at longer ranges requires the 'total package', quality ammo is only one part of that total package.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.