Loading bergers

I am having a hard time finding accurate loads with the VLD bullets. I tried to follow Berger manual which I have but many times I am stopped at magazine length and can't get to start at ten thou off lands. I have no trouble with TSX or accubonds getting half inch groups and in short order. I know a lot of you love the Berger so if any one has any tips fire away. I want to shoot some animals with the VLD I just can't get the accuracy

gerryb, in your 7mm calibers, try the Berger 168 gr Classic Hunter bullets (hybrid). In my 7WSM I was having difficulty getting consistency with the VLDs, tried the hybrids, problem solved. On 3 consecutive trips to the range, getting less than 1/2moa groups with it. Easiest load workup I have ever done. And, the BC of the hybrids is only very slightly less than the VLDs.

I am having a hard time finding accurate loads with the VLD bullets. I tried to follow Berger manual which I have but many times I am stopped at magazine length and can't get to start at ten thou off lands. I have no trouble with TSX or accubonds getting half inch groups and in short order. I know a lot of you love the Berger so if any one has any tips fire away. I want to shoot some animals with the VLD I just can't get the accuracy

on my shelf I have three or four boxes of Bergers gathering dust. They never worked well for me, and if they did another brand was still better and often cheaper. I thought it was just me, but I've ran into at least two dozen others that felt the sameway.
gary

Just start at your mags length and set deeper. I kinda followed the statement below with the 190gr Berger and finished at .070 off. Shoots pretty good.

Statement from Berger:
Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a hunter (pulling a bullet out of the case with your rifling while in the field can be a hunt ending event which must be avoided) or a competition shooter who worries about pulling a bullet during a match:

• .010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  • .050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  • .090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  • .130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
Shoot 2 (separate) 3 shot groups in fair conditions to see how they group. The remarkable reality of this test is that one of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 COAL shoots best then you can tweak the COAL +/- .002 or .005. Taking the time to set this test up will pay off when you find that your rifle is capable of shooting the VLD bullets very well (even at 100 yards).

^^^^^^^^this.........for my 7mm WSM, this procedure and a stout dose of H1000 yields some pretty good groups with the 168 VLD...........I think mine ended up liking the 0.050 range of jump......then further fine tune it down to 0.045 giving the best groups........

Im my honest opinion ,the 7mm 168 vld wastes too much meat.For the wear and tear on youre gun finding the sweet spot you better buy 2 guns identicle in all way shape and form.Read between the lines on all the info and it is all if ands or buts.I just got the waited for and great Berger manual and it is not all that great.I think it is all relative to speak the language they like.If they want to give definitive answers to the question 0n bullet seating then i will continue to use the 168 vld in my 7mm,until then im on the nosler band wagon.I hope you dont burn up a barrel trying to find the sweet spot.

I won't burn it out. If I can't find it fast I will use accubonds for small and TSX for larger animals. I can find a load for them in just a few shots. I bought the Berger manual and find the loads mild. I have five 7 mags and I could easily start at their max load and work up. I know 7 mags are kind of like that in all books but I find it light for all calibers and they left out 280 AI.

gerryb, in your 7mm calibers, try the Berger 168 gr Classic Hunter bullets (hybrid). In my 7WSM I was having difficulty getting consistency with the VLDs, tried the hybrids, problem solved. On 3 consecutive trips to the range, getting less than 1/2moa groups with it. Easiest load workup I have ever done. And, the BC of the hybrids is only very slightly less than the VLDs.

+1 their either a touch lower or a touch higher in BC, but the load workup is eeaassyy.

Thanks I have a bunch of them, will try in 7 wsm, 7 mm rem mag, and 280 AI. I think I will go with 180 VLD in 7 stw and 7 weatherby.

Im my honest opinion ,the 7mm 168 vld wastes too much meat.... 7mm,until then im on the nosler band wagon.I hope you dont burn up a barrel trying to find the sweet spot.

I've ran a large wild game processing operation in MT, cutting over 2000 animals a year and I currently still cut about 50 head a year for extra money and the most offensive bullets when it comes to meat loss is Nosler product, PERIOD!!!
I personally shoot Berger for meat because of the lack of blood shot I have had with them, combine that with the lethality and accuracy I get more meat with the Bergers!!

Last rifle we dialed in for Bergers was a 7mm Mag, 168 Target VLD .20 of the lands H1000 powder and half moa in 12 rounds. The best the rifle has ever shot in the life of it according to the owner! Not every rifle likes every bullet, just the way it is and it's not worth dwelling on to long, it's nice that Berger is addressing the seating depth sensitivity with different bullets like the Classic hunter and Hybrid designs.

Thanks I have a bunch of them, will try in 7 wsm, 7 mm rem mag, and 280 AI. I think I will go with 180 VLD in 7 stw and 7 weatherby.

just a suggestion but i would take a long hard look at the 180gr hybrid, if you have concerns about it being a "target" bullet shoot Broz a pm he uses 215gr hybrid with outstanding success gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.