Load or shooter?

Just wanted to say thanks to all you fellas that have helped me. Huge shout to canhunter35 for advising me to watch my trigger control. I think that was the key. I went out today with 10 rounds loaded with what I knew was going to be my load but I just couldn't pulling together. First group one got pulled low (again) then 4 in a tight cluster. On my second group I told my self I didn't care what the group was. Just focus on the trigger pull. Wouldn't you know it I kept all 5 together. Still not as tight as I think it can be but it's a step in the right direction.
20180323_180416.jpg
Thanks again!

Last edited:
I know the frustration when you place all your efforts on very accurate load development, loading by measuring every load to 1/10th grain and making sure all your equipment is just right. For example, today i shot a five, three shots group at 300 yards only to have this happen. 1st group to 3rd group around 1/2 inch, 4th group a 1/4 inch (best group ever at 300) and 5th group...well, just too embarrassed to say. In other words, there is one more very important component to accuracy..."the nut behind the butt".

I know the frustration when you place all your efforts on very accurate load development, loading by measuring every load to 1/10th grain and making sure all your equipment is just right. For example, today i shot a five, three shots group at 300 yards only to have this happen. 1st group to 3rd group around 1/2 inch, 4th group a 1/4 inch (best group ever at 300) and 5th group...well, just too embarrassed to say. In other words, there is one more very important component to accuracy..."the nut behind the butt".
Your absolutely right. I have no doubt this rifle can out shoot me(as we can all clearly see). I'm just happy to have the 5 shots in a respectable group without the flyer. I've been pulling my hair out with this thing thinking it's my loads or my rifle when all along it's been the idiot running the trigger.

Just wanted to say thanks to all you fellas that have helped me. Huge shout to canhunter35 for advising me to watch my trigger control. I think that was the key. I went out today with 10 rounds loaded with what I knew was going to be my load but I just couldn't pulling together. First group one got pulled low (again) then 4 in a tight cluster. On my second group I told my self I didn't care what the group was. Just focus on the trigger pull. Wouldn't you know it I kept all 5 together. Still not as tight as I think it can be but it's a step in the right direction.View attachment 94347 Thanks again!

Nice work. Its **** hard getting groups like that, your dealing with minuscule movement on your part.

Nice work. Its **** hard getting groups like that, your dealing with minuscule movement on your part.
I've learned it's EXTREMELY difficult to consistently shoot sub .5 moa 5 shot groups. I used to to 3 shot groups but I learned the benefit of 5 shots. It really let's younknow what your load is doing and what your capable of as a shooter and what you need to work on.

One thing you could try is putting separate aiming points on the target. Then try to induce a subtle difference in the way you shoot. Cheek weld pressure can make a big difference. How you load or lean into the gun with your body can be a thing as well. I bet in 10 or 15 shots, you can identify and duplicate a low shot even though your gun is stable. Those bench rest guys know this and many do the free recoil thing and virtually eliminate the shooter from the equation.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.