• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Lightweight/compact 338

mk443

Looking for a lightweight sporter style custom 338 that has/can be cut down to around a 20-22 inch barrel for a compact cannon. Not looking for a factory gun.

I know you said you didn't want a factory….but I have a 700 stainless/synthetic BDL that i bought new around 1990. Like new, i have only shot it about 10-15 times. I would like to move it to someone who will use it. Has stainless Leupold bases/rings (1"). I never messed with handloads for it but recall it shot very well

If you have the funds, and the time. Give Justin Linenbach at kinport peak custom rifles a call. He's built several of these short 338's - excellent build quality. Quick turnaround time. I bet he can build exactly what you're after!

If you have the funds, and the time. Give Justin Linenbach at kinport peak custom rifles a call. He's built several of these short 338's - excellent build quality. Quick turnaround time. I bet he can build exactly what you're after!
Thanks but if I'm building, it will 100% be with Dallas Lane again. 👊👊

.338 is a caliber; there is a significant difference in recoil between a .338 LM/I and .338-06 chambering, esp. in a lightweight set-up.
Thank you Captain Obvious. I think everyone on here understands recoil differences. 👍

As I stated twice now for you, I'm open to see what's out there and never said anything about recoil concerns. Talking to a guy with 338 wsm, 338 rum, 338 rcm, lapua and a 340 bee..

Hope that helps you out some how.

Thank you Captain Obvious. I think everyone on here understands recoil differences. 👍

As I stated twice now for you, I'm open to see what's out there and never said anything about recoil concerns. Talking to a guy with 338 wsm, 338 rum, 338 rcm, lapua and a 340 bee..

Excuse me for trying to help; I did not want to assume you do know. I am simply trying to understand and narrow down your specific requirement. I have seen many that built lightweight .338 magnums then complain they cannot effectively manage it and blame it on the rifle or the builder. IIRC, Alex Wheeler wrote an excellent article about the ideal weight. Sorry, I ever attempted to help, but I am out. I will let my friend know to sell his .33XC to someone else. Good luck, nonetheless!

Holy ego!!
For a guy that acts like he knows everything, you sure are pretty clueless

Holy ego!!
For a guy that acts like he knows everything, you sure are pretty clueless
Not sure how you got to that but ok Jack. 👌

I've got a lot of leads from a lot of great guys and I can tell the "opinion police" will keep destroying this wtb ad so I'm shutting her down.

Last edited: