Lever action action accuracy?

CBH Australia

G'day from Downunder,

I had the wife's little .357mag Marlin lever action out yesterday.

Been a while since it was out, had it out , had the scope on and off again, tried a red dot doesn't get used much.

Put the old Weaver Marksman 4 X in cheap Aluminium rings back on.

Shoots minute of pig, thought I remembered it being a little more accurate . It's not critical because it's a fun gun but I reckon it's barely 4"@ 100 but I think it should do better.

Yes, I could try some factory ammo, yes I could try open sights but what do you think would be acceptable accuracy?

FYI ,

My loads from whenever are using a 158gn Hornady XTP?

It was new in about ahh pre 2000 so should be a Good one and has probably done 5-600 rounds maybe 1000 on the outside.

I would give the barrel a very good cleaning and see if that improves accuracy. Double check your scope mounts and rings to make sure they're tight and torqued to the correct specs. Lever guns aren't always tack drivers, but most of the time the accuracy achieved from them is good enough for hunting at shorter ranges.

All of the Marlins I have had approached moa accuracy (30-30 and 35 Rem)....probably more accurate but the triggers have always been pretty heavy. I haven't had a 357 but even my short barrel Rossi in 357 does better than that with open sights.

I'd do what Jud96 said and see what happens. I'm not sure if the pistol caliber Marlins had microgroove rifling. After that I'd check the crown. And then maybe look into ML McPherson's accurizing techniques on lever guns. I'd consider possibly bedding the buttstock like how they used to do the Enfields. YMMV.

I'd do what Jud96 said and see what happens. I'm not sure if the pistol caliber Marlins had microgroove rifling. After that I'd check the crown. And then maybe look into ML McPherson's accurizing techniques on lever guns. I'd consider possibly bedding the buttstock like how they used to do the Enfields. YMMV.
I will give it a clean etc,

I'm sure it was going ok last the scope was on , I wouldn't mind putting a 2-7 Leupold if I prove the rifle is fine.

I know the mounts are cheap and likely poor quality.

Long time between uses but I've had a Eeotech on it once. .

An inch at 75 would be acceptable to me.

I know nothing of accurising lever actions.. a little research required

I have bedded a few bolt actions and know I can shoot better than the lever gun is showing..

Try different bullet weights and design. Keep in mind the .357 was designed primarily as a revolver cartridge. Elmer Keith, et. al. weren't thinking of using it in a rifle.

You ought to try different weight bullets and design to see which works the best. Its expensive and time consuming but once you find the right ammo your work is done.

I have a Rossi92 in 44mag, but haven't checked accuracy. At 100 yards I can hit torso sized plate firing as fast as I can with all bullet weights. I need too do more accuracy test in all of my guns. 158 is a common weight, but try something lighter?

Also if your shooting lead bullets make sure to slug your barrel to make sure the bullet is not too small.
On my Marlin 44 mag I shot .429 lead bullets I cast myself and they would not shoot very well so I slugged the barrel and came up with .430 so I now cast 310 gr hard cast bullets at .431 to .432 and they shoot about .75 of an inch.Bullet has to obturate (fill the barrel to seal off gasses) before any accuracy can be achieved.
Hope this helps.
old Rooster