Leupold scope bad?

Rootdoc

ive got a browning gold slug hunter with a Leupold shotgun scope on it. I used to be able to hammer targets at 100yrds. Now I'm all over the paper. Scope mount not lose. Using same ammo and the barrel is clean (carbon remover etc). Could it be the scope?? How does one check to see if it's a scope issue?

If it shot accurately and now it doesn't, the scope could be the culprit. Do you have another scope to try? Or a rifle you can mount the scope on and do a box test?
I understand your frustration. Bin there, done that with slug guns...

I had the same issue with my muzzleloader shot great but 3 or 4 hrs. later or the next day. Who knows? It was the same load exactly! I switched to a Trijicon and a steel rail
with good steel rings. Fixed it! I'm pleased now.. before I was hoping at best?
Let me add it never moved the same? It never went like high right each time it went all over?

Same!! I'd be on paper at 25yrds 2 shots then completely off paper ‍♂️ Have been shooting the shotgun for 17yrs no issues until about a year or two. Ok I'm going to pull it off in the next few weeks. Once it stops raining here in IL I'll head to the range. Thanks everyone for reinforcing what I thought was needed

Slug guns are tough on scopes. Especially when the scope is on a Cantaliever, there is extra vibration there to shake the heck out of a scope. Had a Remington 870 with a Hastings barrel with a Cantaliever mount. That thing ate scopes, Leupolds and Nikon slug scopes, could not take the abuse.

I would try that scope on a different shotgun or or rifle that I know shoots good and see what happens. If it does the same thing,then I'd see how good that Leupold lifetime warrenty really is. I've never had a Leupold scope go bad.

I have had 3 Leupold scope reticles fail over a number of years. They were replaced with another scope each time without any hassle.

Ive a safe full of Leupold scopes, never really a problem with one other than it got old. I recently bought a rifle for $300 as a donor rifle for a build. The rifle had a 3.5-10 VX III on it. I felt that even if the rifle was total junk, the scope would be worth the purchase price of the rifle. When I got the rifle in, I took it to the range where I found the crosshairs not that sharp. I called Leupold told them about the problems with the crosshairs. I downloaded a repair form from online and shipped the scope out for repair. About three months later I called the factory to find out the status of scope and was told scope had not been worked on as of that time. About a week later I received a new 4.5-14 VX III scope still in the package from Leupold; a $600+ scope. I you do have a problem with your scope send it back to Leupold for either a repair or replacement of the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.