Leupold Golden Ring 15-30 vs. Brunton 12-36 Echo spotting scopes

eddiel4

I need some practical advice... have narrowed my search for a lightweight backpackable spotting scope to either a Leupold 15 to 30 Golden Ring or a Brunton 12 to 36 Echo. Both appear clear and bright however each was viewed in a different store so I'm not sure if one is better. I'm not concerned with the power difference as I've personnally found the 15 to 25 range usually suits my needs best so does anyone have experience with both as your help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ed

I'm a bit surprised that no one chimed in on this. I'm interested in these two spotters as well as thesimilar Minox MD50. Please provide any input on any or all of these.

Also, Eddie, what did you decide to get in the end?

Thanks to you all.

I decided to wait until spring and use my old B&L (which while optically great is a pain to carry) until then but leaning towards the Leupold Golden ring 15-30. Happy holidays!

I had the 15-30 leupold for a while and thought it sucked. it just doesn't have the objective lense size it needs. IMO I would not go below a 60mm spotter. in fact 80mm is a whole heck of alot better yet.

I ran across this: Brunton 12 36x50mm Straight Spotting Scope New w Nikon Lens Pen No Reserve 99 | eBay and it looks like it's nearly identical to the Brunton found on the website. It is hard knowing what the differences are (i.e. what corners were cut for the NRA). I was able to verify they have different prisms, but the rest looks about the same. This seller has been selling a few for a fairly good price. I wish I could find more opinions/reviews on the NRA version. Any ideas?

We bought the wife the Leopold back in 1997...and it works superb. Bluebirds at 20 feet....or elk and bears all the way across Hayden valley, it works great. If the Leupold fit my budget and my needs...Id go for one in an instant.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.