Lest we forget . . .

I would first of all recommend everyone read the book "Code Named Bright Light" by Vieth. The book will **** you off, and also make you hold some folks as suspect. Most everything Vieth writes has been proven to be true many times over, and he is also the goto guy for POW issues in SEA. Before reading Vieth's book I'd recommend reading "The Raid." Plus John Plaster's "SOG." All three parallel each other, but also bring to light new data. George Vieth will tell you things that many will take as an assertion, but also daily seem to come to light. Plus he's one of the few that have the testicles to tell you about Laos! If by chance you run across the book "Kiss The Boys Goodbye"; I highly recommend this read. It doesn't totally take you in the same depth as Vieth, but still allows us to know the truth about one setting President and a guy named Garwood.

As you can see the POW / MIA issue is tender with me. They say you can take us out of the country, but you can't take the country out of us!
gary

I read Plaster's book.

I worked with a fella named Les who's story was told in the book.

He was in a helluva fight. Saved his viet guys, lost all of his friends.

I've talked with him for about the goings on over there. Wearing black jammies and not cutting hair. Spent most of the time on his belly. VC stepping within inches of his head.

He also told of taking pics of our troops, **** few, but never the less setting on the fender of fuel trucks along the HCM trail. These guys were in cahoots with the VC. Additionally the trucks had the Shell Oil logo.

Says he would have given anything for night vision and a pair of WW I gaiters/spats. . .

He and Buffalobob are the only two men I've met were in the thick of it.

Quiet heros in my mind.

I feel a bit ashamed that I spent my time over there hunkered down in a reactor control room on a carrier. But the Rickover personally shot down my chit for a gun boat assignment. Really ticked me off. . . But I tried. . .

I read Plaster's book.

I've talked with him for about the goings on over there. Wearing black jammies and not cutting hair. Spent most of the time on his belly. VC stepping within inches of his head.

He also told of taking pics of our troops, **** few, but never the less setting on the fender of fuel trucks along the HCM trail. These guys were in cahoots with the VC. Additionally the trucks had the Shell Oil logo.

Says he would have given anything for night vision and a pair of WW I gaiters/spats. . .

Quiet heros in my mind.

I feel a bit ashamed that I spent my time over there hunkered down in a reactor control room on a carrier. But the Rickover personally shot down my chit for a gun boat assignment. Really ticked me off. . . But I tried. . .

Wow. Thank you to all and thank you Roy. Randy

I'll be looking for those book's...Thank's for the head's up Roy. Also thank's to you and Gary for your service, I lost a cousin in the Ia Drang, had another shot up in the Delta, so am very much intrested in such goings on.
P.S. If Rickover locked you in the control room, you must've known your s**t, cuz I think he would have happily lashed any sailor to the anchor if he did'nt...Gold Braid or not.

Thank you.

I make sure and show my little ones movies and tell them stories about our Heroes. I make sure and explain to them in detail why it is necessary for the sons of america to place themselves in harms way. They know intellectually but they arent old enough to truly understand.

I am intensely overcome by emotion when i think about what has been sacrificed by our soldiers over the last 238 years, it is humbling. I try to ensure that my children will never forget for a moment what we have here in the United States, and especially what it has cost the Moms, Dads,Wives,Sons,Daughters,and Brothers in blood to ensure that Freedom lives.

I did not serve, wish i had. The one and only regret in my life is that I did not. Weighing my responsibility to a young pregnant wife against my love of country was the hardest gut wrenching decision of my life, and i regret to this day.

God bless America, those that bleed for freedom, and those they had to leave behind.

T
I did not serve, wish i had. The one and only regret in my life is that I did not. Weighing my responsibility to a young pregnant wife against my love of country was the hardest gut wrenching decision of my life, and i regret to this day.

You done good!!

I read Plaster's book.

Quiet heros in my mind.

In Plaster's book he does several interviews with Steve Keever. Keever and I are good friends and belong to the same VFW Post. Think he spent all but one mission in Laos (he refers to that mission as a "dry hole." At Steve's retirement party, I met several others that were in that book.

Depending on who you ask, I was never inside Laos. One groups says I was 300 yards inside Vietnam, and the neighbors said three klicks inside Laos. Who knows and who cares. There is a photo floating around of me taking a leak on the concrete marking post at the Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos point, so technically I've been in all three places for about two minutes! Once again as if it matters much, but would love to have a copy of that photo.I did a whole series of mountain tops from about three klicks south of Ashau down to about thirty klicks south of the Que Son Valley along the Lao border. Still whether or not I ever stepped foot in that place is not important. I've been close enough to watch them thru a starlight scope, and watch the big boys vaporize them. We did shoot over there all the time, and their welcoming committee didn't bring pizza and beer. It was tough out there, but there were lots of other places that were tough as well. Just depended on the time, and where you were stuck. My last base camp was at the base of the Hiep Duc Ridge (south end). For me anyway, that A.O. was as tough as it got. The bad thing about that place was they never told you anything; let alone the truth. Most of the time you found out the hard way.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.