Len - 7mm

Bob's 176 grain 7mm bullet uses Sierra's thicker 30 cal jacket.

On a related matter, I "dusted", as you say, some 162 A-max's a while back with velocities as low as 3200. Last week I received a replacement box of bullets from Hornady. I talked to their bullet guy and found that they had been having a few problems with some apparently sharp-edged barrels and they made some type of change. We'll see.

[ 05-07-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

I like Len's project theory too. I think many of us think in similar terms here.

I've run C176s over 3,400 in a 30" barreled 7mmRUM with ALL the bullets holding together. It shoots better in the low-mid 3,300s though.

Roughly 17.5 MOA elevation at 1,000 & 1/3 less wind drift than a 6.5-284. That's head-to-head comparison in a sanctioned match, not numbers crunched on paper.
tongue.gif

I think my gunsmith was dusting bergers. I didn't know the 176 grain used sierra jackets. if they do I don't see any problem hitting 3500fps with a 9 twist. I have 30-338 laupa imp with 30 inch barrel that shoots great with 150's from 3750 to 3850 fps. I don't think you will have a problem with accuracy that laupa brass is great. As far as sevens being accurate everyone I ever had 7 wsm and 7 rem mag would shoot at least .25 inch no problem. I think you have great long range hunting cartidge out to 2000 yards. My gunsmiths version is shortened with a 35 degree shoulder, his 7mm shortened laupa holds about 90 grains of powder. I think he gets around 4000 fps with 120gr nosler and with 175 sierra gamekings he is getting around 3400 FPS. I hope this helps. Good Luck hope is shoots great.
smile.gif

I dropped my project because I was getting high pressures for some reason. At about the same time I was trying to work through the pressure problem, I realized I wanted to continue having low enough recoil to see my bullet's impact on game. I hunt alone at home and don't have a spotter partner. A mortally wounded deer in my 2 to 3 foot marsh grass is easier to find if you know which direction he went and you have the confidence of having seen the good hit. I am colorblind!

So at the time of my pressure frustration I decided I wanted to go lighter with my rifle (then 18 pounds) and I could never do that with the faster and higher recoil 7/338.

I ran the recoil numbers and found the following. The recoil would be the same for these 2 very different rigs.

15 pound rifle (my new, lower weight), 76 grains powder, 176 grain bullet, 3,100 fps.

21.5 pound rifle, 98 grains powder, 176 grain bullet, 3,450 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.