leg gaitors

I got a pair of the brushed nylon type outer material. gortex inside. But they are kinda noisy. Looking for possibly a waterproof fleece gaitor.

Who told you that you would need gaiters in September in Unit 34? You won't need them. There will be zero snow on the ground. At night it will get into the upper 30's to lower 40's and in the day it will be in the 60's.

REI has a wide assortment of gaitors. Yes you want them, I don't hunt Colorado but I do hunt Wyoming. You can have 60* weather one day, and 6-8" of snow when you get up in the morning.

They don't take up much room, don't need them, leave them in camp, but if you wake up one morning and find snow, they are worth their weight in gold.

Besides keeping your feet dry, they also help to keep them warm. I did a lot of extended cross country ski trips when I was in Alaska. Where you'd freeze your toes w/out, your feet will be warmer in sub-zero temps with gaitors even if your feet don't get wet.

You can get them if you want them but the only thing it might protect you against in September down here in the mountains of New Mexico is the dew on the grass. It just doesn't get cold enough down here in September for it to snow. Maybe you can use tem when you go hunting in Montana or Wyoming sometime. But if it makes you feel better to have them then by all means get them. Just like kraig said, they will just stay in the camp if you don't need them. Which they will :)

It has nothing to do with snow. Its the dew on the grass. With the amount of rain my hunting area received this year, the grass has done very good.

I have kenetreks and hate them. Their crappy plastic buckle will ensure the gators loosen every few hundred yards.

Depending on where you are in 34 you best have a good pair. I've hunted it for years. The wet grass will test your boots as well. Haven't had a pair keep water out yet, even with gators.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 64
When the outfitter called me, the only thing he mentioned was making sure I had a waterproof, quiet pair. He said the grass was knee deep everywhere. Taller in places. Wasn't sure of the impaact it would have on my hunt. He said in the 6 years he has leased the ranch, it has never seen this kinda rain. Not sure how good hunting the wallows would be because there is water everywhere. I got all ten days. Hopefully we can get something figured out.

Good luck and have fun.
I've hunted water once, I'm out calling. If you've got a ranch only tag your options are limited though.

I do have a ranch only tag. I was hoping for a unit wide, but didn't draw. Outfitter actually told me unit wide would be a better hunt. I'm hoping for the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.