Left Hand Rifle Options

bsimmons4

Hey everyone, just getting into long range target shooting. I have a 30-378 but figured it out that this is way to expensive to keep shooting with. What're some options for a good quality left handed long range rifle. I was hoping for 6.5 creedmoor or .308.

get an action and build... I did a 7stw on a trued remmy action this last summer and will be tearing down a tired lh bdl 300rum this year for another rifle (cartridge/ caliber to be determined) I hung a #5 shilen select match 8"twist 7mm barrel on the 7stw.
I'll be looking @ lh custom actions if/when I actually have enough $$ to get into them... For now it is re-building what I've got already from the factory as custom..

Budget and preference drives that decision... If money is not an object, have what you want built on a custom action.

For low budget, you can get a Remington varmint in 308 and drop it into a HS Precision stock that can be found 'in stock' in several places. Or pick your more expensive McMillan, Manners, or other chassis.

For the price, those lefty Tikka Sporters look great but I've had no experience with them. Several calibers available.

Tikka T3 Sporter Rifle - Tikka Sporter - for sale! - EuroOptic.com

Budget and preference drives that decision... If money is not an object, have what you want built on a custom action.

For low budget, you can get a Remington varmint in 308 and drop it into a HS Precision stock that can be found 'in stock' in several places. Or pick your more expensive McMillan, Manners, or other chassis.

For the price, those lefty Tikka Sporters look great but I've had no experience with them. Several calibers available.

Tikka T3 Sporter Rifle - Tikka Sporter - for sale! - EuroOptic.com

I've got a lh tikka t3 in 270... A good rifle it is, but a long range rifle it is not. To light of a rifle for more than mid range work.

I just talked to my 'smith today and juxtaposed the question of 30 cal or 338 for my lh 300 rum's re-build and am having him do a bit of digging for me on what he can get a 30" (finished) 338 barrel for... I may just build another 300 rum or 7stw, but a 338 rum or edge sounds about right. I don't have one of those golf clubs yet...

Click the link bro... The Sporter is a much different animal than a T3.

'aint gonna stay supersonic to 1K with a 20" pipe bro if it's in 308, at least from what guys I talk to that shoot the little 30 are saying. likely to have around a #4 taper at the stated weight, but fatter is better... I like a #5, but I may well be going light Palma for my next build, especially if a 30" barrel is going on the rifle.

I just talked to my 'smith today to get the ball rolling on tearing down my lh bdl 300rum. I'm leaning towards a 338 rum or edge but need to weigh my options as getting brass for a new pipe IS a consideration. I'll have around $600 (assuming 27" barrel-- 30" will be a bit more) in this including a trigger and new recoil lug if I don't buy a stock and stay with the 338rum so I don't need custom dies. He's going to dig into things a bit and we'll get a barrel, recoil lug, and reamer ordered when we have our ducks in a row and I have some jingle in my pocket. The trigger and dies aren't needed until the barreled action is ready to be fitted to the stock and you are getting her ready to be fired.
I may change things up a bit though and go 375 rum with a 32" pipe...:D Half the fun of putting a semi custom or full custom together is picking the right cartridge for the game you play.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.