Learning Lurker

New to the long range community but I've been a hunter since I was 13. Currently doubled the age but still learning and practicing. Live in SW Va so my long range is limited to around 500 yards which is plenty for me. If anything is farther than that where I live I'm confident in my ability to sneak closer.

I haven't taken many long shots over 100 yards due to my lack of quality equipment. I grew up using my dad's Rem 700 in 30-06 with a fixed 4x Simmons, if it was over 50 yards you was praying to the ballistics Gods. I now have an Aero Precision AR-10 that will be my rifle of choice for season this year, paired with a Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44. I'm confident in this pairing after sighting in the open sights, I was placing half inch groups at 50 yards. Given practice and a lot of knowledge from forums on here I think i'll bag a couple @200-400 yards this year.

I'm always open to tips and tricks and will give mine back if they're any count. gun)

Luke 22:36

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.