Lathe value.

list it for 2K or best offer , does the tool post goes with it ?
2 chucks but do you have a steady rest of either kind ?? .
I agree a bigger machine would be nice to have sometimes
i have a SB 13 but my buddy has a 17 now that's a big machine ..

If it had the factory stand it would be worth more. They are good lathes, It's a belt head vs a gear head, But I have both and sometimes prefer the belt heads as they are quieter. The only thing I don't like about belt heads is the total loss oil system for the headstock bearings which need to have the oil cellars filled as they drip out. This size of lathe sells quicker than the larger lathes because it is a hobby sized lathe that home Gunsmiths and hobbyists tend to prefer.

He did good , I'm glad both of you have a win situation ...
I just sold a Leupold Mk4 3.5 x 10 BDC cam model in FDE
to buy a new Tikka T3x Super Varmint in 223 ...it'll be here Tuesday

Now my wife will never know ...lol ! I feel your joy !
I do my smithing on a rebuilt Jet Chinese clunker, but I tightened her up ..
Yours is a lil gem

Yours is a lil gem
until you get your SV 223

i had it a week before i switched out the stock

8ZbMaqJ.jpg

Yours is a lil gem
I put a lot of work into this machine. It was filthy when I got it. I don't think the previous owner did anything but use it.

I kind of hate to see it go, but, it'll make a good first machine for flyinstroke. He knows nothing about this stuff so y'all be ready to help him out when the time comes.

I'm going to try to give him a crash course before he takes it if time allows. But even that's sketchy, I don't really feel I've been doing this stuff long enough to offer anyone any advice. I have built one rifle though. And it didn't blow up.

This is it when I started cleaning. Right side has already been scraped with a putty knife. Left side was after it's kerosine bath.
Screenshot_20240523_142059_Photos.jpg

My brother is the real artist in the family , I gave him my old Rockwell lathe when I moved 10 years ago , he just 4 months ago started refurbishing it completely ...
Ill post pics ...its so custom and so precise ...Rockwell would go crazy to have it , if they were still in business...

Attachments

• 20240128_163549.jpg
    20240128_163549.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20240128_163602.jpg
    20240128_163602.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 83
Here is this beauty Today ,,,he just sent me pics...
I can;t even begin to tell you the precision and custom enhancements he did to this design
it's as accurate or more than a Monarch ....0002" ...the lube system on the machine is
over the top ....DRO...bearings everything custom...even the guards ...

almost completed

Attachments

• 738465555.jpg
    738465555.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 135
  • 738465571.jpg
    738465571.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 738465605.jpg
    738465605.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 135
The fly fishing River Jet boat in the back ground as well as trailer all hand crafted by him.. his own design....The kid is crazy talented ...fabricator...

I got him a job back in 99 at Liebherr while I was an engineer there ,,,he is the Floor
Supervisor today for automation in Saline MI ...German International Company the Mercedes of Manufacturing .....

I can;t even begin to tell you the precision and custom enhancements he did to this design
it's as accurate or more than a Monarch ....0002" ...the lube system on the machine is

almost completed
Yeah, my efforts kind of pale in comparison to that. Lol. Super nice machine.

almost completed
That lube system mod is the craziest thing I've ever seen... all these old machines are total oil loss with felts (I've got a Sheldon). Five minutes with a can does it before a day of typical use, might hit it once more on a heavy day. Is that thing run hard all day long? No clue how it could individually meter every location where there used to be a gits cup.

Was the bed and all the sliding surfaces reconditioned ? I get the love for the old 'Merican iron (just sold my South Bend due to lack of space), but they're a real money pit to get to the tolerances of a new Taiwanese machine and can easily end up costing more- I suspect his, did.

That lube system mod is the craziest thing I've ever seen... all these old machines are total oil loss with felts (I've got a Sheldon). Five minutes with a can does it before a day of typical use, might hit it once more on a heavy day. Is that thing run hard all day long? No clue how it could individually meter every location where there used to be a gits cup.

Was the bed and all the sliding surfaces reconditioned ? I get the love for the old 'Merican iron (just sold my South Bend due to lack of space), but they're a real money pit to get to the tolerances of a new Taiwanese machine and can easily end up costing more- I suspect his, did.
He put in the labor....didn't cost much when you work for a major machine manufacturer ...many things added he has access to off current machinery .

How well does an oiler system help, when pushing fluid from muzzle to breech during chambering? I've always been interested to know. Seems it would reduce any likelihood of spinning a chip, used sensibly.
Is it still necessary to go in small increments and clean/clear the reamer? I'm intrigued. Don't own the equipment, my experience is limited to doing LE Wilson die blanks on a friend's lathe. Curiosity gets Me in trouble from time to time.

Recent Posts