Lapua Brass: Same Lot vs Weight Sorting

bill123

I've always ordered Lapua brass in a single lot and then sorted by weight. Because of the 6br brass shortage I had to mix lots. If I weight sort the mixed lots, will I get just as good velocity/precision as weight sorting same lot brass?

In other words, do u use the same lot of brass just to get better initial weight consistency or is there another advantage to having all brass come from the same lot?

I'm sure someone will chime in with much more smarts then me but a couple of factors you may want to consider is...... Different neck tensions And even neck thicknesses from lot to lot may throw you off some.

Annealing and neck turning may all but alleviate those issues.

If you are strictly sticking with Lapua brass, my bet would be they would be very close once they were annealed to the same hardness.

I'm sure someone will chime in with much more smarts then me but a couple of factors you may want to consider is...... Different neck tensions And even neck thicknesses from lot to lot may throw you off some.

Annealing and neck turning may all but alleviate those issues.

If you are strictly sticking with Lapua brass, my bet would be they would be very close once they were annealed to the same hardness.

That's what I was thinking. I anneal and am considering skim turning although the neck thickness is pretty consistent.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.