Lapua 6.5 PRC brass

I ended up changing my cartridge choice, I don't think I'm going to be giving up much. I originally planned to build a 6.5 prc, but the amount of backorder and out of stock I've been seeing for months kinda scared me away. I'm sure it will come back, hopefully soon. But I was able to find 6.5-284 lapua brass in stock and picked up 300pcs. I figure they're close enough ballistically that the difference in the barrel speed itself could make up the difference. Plus, I found Redding competition dies for $120

I ended up changing my cartridge choice, I don't think I'm going to be giving up much. I originally planned to build a 6.5 prc, but the amount of backorder and out of stock I've been seeing for months kinda scared me away. I'm sure it will come back, hopefully soon. But I was able to find 6.5-284 lapua brass in stock and picked up 300pcs. I figure they're close enough ballistically that the difference in the barrel speed itself could make up the difference. Plus, I found Redding competition dies for $120
You won't be sorry. I have a 6.5-284 that is a tack driver. I picked up my 6.5 PRC due to factory ammo being available but so far that hasn't panned out. Neither has components. If you are doing a custom build, use a LA so you can get the most out of it.

We're you originally building your 65 PRC on a long action?

Yea I'm building it off of a tikka. If I remember right in the mag I'm using I can get up to 3.4xx" OAL. I jumped on the 4th of July sale for XLR and bought another magnesium chassis, but this time I splurged and bought the titanium grip and carbon buttstock! I ordered the carbon6 barrel this morning during their 15%off sale, and having it built to 23". Couldn't decide between 22-24" with suppressor, so I split the difference

You won't be sorry. I have a 6.5-284 that is a tack driver. I picked up my 6.5 PRC due to factory ammo being available but so far that hasn't panned out. Neither has components. If you are doing a custom build, use a LA so you can get the most out of it.

We're you originally building your 65 PRC on a long action?

I built mine on a long action. Still waiting on reloading components, or at least brass powder and bullets. Anyone tried the Berger 153.3?

I built mine on a long action. Still waiting on reloading components, or at least brass powder and bullets. Anyone tried the Berger 153.3?
No on the 153 but I ran the 144 Hybrid this morning with great results using H4831sc. Right at 2975 with SD around 2. I opened up the tip with .060 wire drill bit. I plan on hunting Antelope with this load.

Attachments

• 681F4F17-0BEB-4019-B07A-44B4E6BBD1E5.jpeg
    681F4F17-0BEB-4019-B07A-44B4E6BBD1E5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
No on the 153 but I ran the 144 Hybrid this morning with great results using H4831sc. Right at 2975 with SD around 2. I opened up the tip with .060 wire drill bit. I plan on hunting Antelope with this load.
It looks like the Antelope don't stand a chance. Good luck. Also question on powder. What others have you tried. Seems like quite a few people have been using Reloder 26, Reloder 23 and Retumbo. Just curious would like something temperature stable with low SD.