ladder testing with lite factory barrel question

Idaho Trecker

Should I let the barrel cool some between shots when doing a ladder test when shooting a larger amount of powder in a lite factory barrel? Will the heat of the barrel skew my results as it gets hotter? I am shooting a Sako Finnlite that was rechambered to 300 Dakota with 24" barrel. Any thoughts? Thanks

I would let it cool down between every 2nd shot maybe if you reeeeeaaallly want to push it, every third shot. But not anymore than that. If I were doing it, I would let it cool between every 2nd shot.

Thank you very much for your input. I'm just getting into the ladder tests and was wondering how much effect barrel heat would have and how hard it would be on the barrel since it is so thin. From all the articles I read so far they just shoot them as fast as possible but they were small cartridges with small amounts of powder and heavy barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.