• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Krieger 224cal 8 twist SS Rem Varmint 31” blank

I just installed a 1:7 twist on my 22 Creed. There's a lot of documented cases of 1:7 twist barrels being unable to push full pressure loads, as lead core bullets in the 3100fps and faster range come apart in mid-air flight. Too high of RPMs exceeding the structural design limits of the lead core jacketed bullets.

So the 1:7 barrels will stabilize the heavy bullets, but the catch 22 is those bullets can't be launched at the full speeds capable in the 22 Creed. Especially after the barrels have some mileage on them.

Just saying, the 8-twist might be the charmer for the 22 Creed. When my barrel starts blowing bullets up, I'll likely go 7.5- twist... Maybe 8-twist.

I just installed a 1:7 twist on my 22 Creed. There's a lot of documented cases of 1:7 twist barrels being unable to push full pressure loads, as lead core bullets in the 3100fps and faster range come apart in mid-air flight. Too high of RPMs exceeding the structural design limits of the lead core jacketed bullets.

So the 1:7 barrels will stabilize the heavy bullets, but the catch 22 is those bullets can't be launched at the full speeds capable in the 22 Creed. Especially after the barrels have some mileage on them.

Just saying, the 8-twist might be the charmer for the 22 Creed. When my barrel starts blowing bullets up, I'll likely go 7.5- twist... Maybe 8-twist.
That's why I went with an 8 on my 22-250AI. Pushing 80 Amax at 3550 with zero issues of bullet failure. The 7 twist would wreck'em. IMO, the 7 twists are for the smaller case cartridges.

I've pushed the 88 eldx, 85.5 hybrid, 77otm, 90vld, and 90 smk just as fast as chamber pressure would allow out of a 24"1/7twist and never had a problem all shot very well. I never got the 90's over crono but the 85.5's were scooting along at 3400 FPS, I could've pushed them harder but they shot great right there. That was Hornady brass. I switched to Peterson brass and had to back them down 1.5 grains as I was getting stubborn bolt lift. Haven't got a crono reading yet. New Kreiger barrel is getting fitted to a Curtis axiom I purchased from a fine gentleman on this forum!

I've pushed the 88 eldx, 85.5 hybrid, 77otm, 90vld, and 90 smk just as fast as chamber pressure would allow out of a 24"1/7twist and never had a problem all shot very well. I never got the 90's over crono but the 85.5's were scooting along at 3400 FPS, I could've pushed them harder but they shot great right there. That was Hornady brass. I switched to Peterson brass and had to back them down 1.5 grains as I was getting stubborn bolt lift. Haven't got a crono reading yet. New Kreiger barrel is getting fitted to a Curtis axiom I purchased from a fine gentleman on this forum!
That's nearly 350,000 rpms. The only thing you had going for you was Berger. Try that same velocity with some other bullet manufacturers and they'll be dust in the wind. Sierra's survive fairly well also.

That's nearly 350,000 rpms. The only thing you had going for you was Berger. Try that same velocity with some other bullet manufacturers and they'll be dust in the wind. Sierra's survive fairly well also.
Oh I see they're about the only bullets I shoot any more. The rest seem to cost more for fancy bonding and pretty tips but the matchkongs and vld's work for me for the most part. Hope someone picks the barrel up as I dont have enough room for another build in the safe! Unless I sell a few deer rifles!

Oh I see they're about the only bullets I shoot any more. The rest seem to cost more for fancy bonding and pretty tips but the matchkongs and vld's work for me for the most part. Hope someone picks the barrel up as I dont have enough room for another build in the safe! Unless I sell a few deer rifles!
Fella I know shoots 22CM. He's running a 7 twist barrel. He shot some 75 Amax bullets and many blow up before getting on target. Only pushing them 3450 but that fast twist barrel smokes em.