Kodiak Blacktails Hammered

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
A customer of ours posted this great video on our forum. It is well done and shows a once in a lifetime hunting situation that just never happens. It is pretty cool so I figured I would post it here on lrh. Shots were about 225y.

This past August, I did a Blacktail hunt on Kodiak Island with two friends. Like any hunt, it's a long story, but the punchline relevant to this forum is that my buddy Hunter is an extremely talented backcountry videographer and got a pretty wild video of us both punching buck tags within about 20 seconds of each other. We were both shooting Hammers I loaded- 6.5 CM and 7mm-08 for Hunter and me respectively- and the results speak pretty clearly for themselves. Both bucks were very large and healthy, and I hope this is a helpful terminal ballistic example for those who were asking about the effectiveness of these bullet/cartridge combinations on game.

Hunter also filmed, edited and produced a pretty cool short film about the hunt for anyone interested; more of his work can be found by searching "The Hunter's Quest" on any social network. Hope y'all enjoy!

Saying big black tail buck, you mean they dressed out enough meat for at least a couple guys to have a meal each.... I kid I kid... congrats on the hunt.

Population boomed for a few years after we had about 5 consecutive mild winters, last few springs have really visibly been hard on the Population. The vast numbers have caused what appears to be the highest number of semi diy hunters descending upon kodiak. Been some good looking bucks pulled from all over the island as of late. Kinda wild to think how they have done I 100 years since introduction.

Looks like a good hunt, both shots appeared to be neck shots so they should have some good meat