Kimber 8400

vinjesvingen

Hello,

I have a new Kimber 8400 classic,270wsm.
I byed this rifle for high mountain hunting,but i have problems with accuracy .

My best 3 shoot group is 1"with N550 61,5grs 3295fps.
When i am starting to shoot with cold and cleaned barrel,the first shoot is going 3"to the right,the second 2"to the right and the last is going 1 1/4"to the right.
My second 3 shoots group are also going to the right,but not so mutch.
The third 3 shoots group is going in senter.

Have talked with several gunsmiths her in Norway and they think the barrel is the problem.
Think i will rebarrel this rifle,i can get a new Lilja barrel 24",fluted,1:10 twist.
Is that a good choise?

I have also loock at the High teck custom stocks
Is that a good stock for this rifle?

Olav

My son bought the same rifle 2 years ago,
he had to have the locking lugs trued up,'
and whatever else that was wrong with it.
Cost him another $500. to get it to shoot.
His load for this rifle is= winchester large rifle primers,
63.1 grs of RL19
140 grain nosler partion. 1/2 group at 200 yards.

After all the trouble he had to begin with this rifle
he will never buy another Kimber rifle!!

I bought a Kimber Model 84 in .308 5 years ago, and it has been returned to Younkers (the factory) 3 times. The pillars were not installed straight; a burr was found in the muzzle when it was new; and the full magazine would open, droping shells on the ground, with first shot. They did fix everything, but accuracy is still lousy and after 300 rounds, the barrel still collects much copper, despite trying JB, and numerous solvents. I would not buy another Kimber. And, after spending $1100 on the rifle, I will not spend another $500 to rebarrel it.

The locking lugs on my Kimber 8400 didnt take on the left side,i have no fix it.
Perhaps this will help with the precision,and the rifle get stable.

I had some issues with my 84M .308 when I first got it. I made several trips to the range with many types of ammo from different brands, weights and bullet constructions.

I found that the barrel was not free floated completely and there was undo pressure on the barrel from the stock. I ended up sanding out the stock until I got a real free float and then refinished the sanded parts with JB Weld and resanded it until it was smooth. JB Weld seems to match the stock color close enough but who cares since its on part of the stock noone ever sees except if you removed the barrel and action.

I found a good load the rifle likes by recommendation from a friend and now its consistently shooting good enough to kill anything I want out to 600 yards. Just so long as I do my part and let the rifle do the rest.

The rifle is good to go now. I think all total it cost the amount of what it cost to buy 1 oz. of JB Weld and the 300 something rounds of ammo I went through until I found a load it likes.

A true custom build would be nice but when I have a rifle that will do anything I want short of large dangerous game and be light enough to carry in the mountains, its good enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.