kick-o-meter

grandadmorgan

once again i appreciate all the advice and opinions that have been offered to me on this informative forum and would like a few more opinions, this time on the kick of other rifles that i'm interested in purchasing.
i have have recently purchased a 300 win mag with a brake and just returned from purchasing ammo to shoot sunday morning. while searching through the various calibers i noticed that the 338 win mag was basically the same size as the 300 win mag and that the 300 ultra mag was larger than either.
as a novice i heeded the advice of several of you longrangers in avoiding the 338 lupua because the kick might cause me to aquire a flinch.
my question is just where does the 300 ultra mag stand in relation to the 300 win mag and the 338? i realize that most 338 calibers especially the lupua come with a brake and will a brake make alot of difference on an 300 ultra mag?
again,
thanks again, your generous opinions are saving me alot of time and money.
post script:
flash: sunday evening in north texas near dallas,
three arabics, one sporting a tunic (brownish red towel) on his head and masks around their faces tried to rob and assault an eighty old couple as they arrived home from a local gun show. as they opened fired on the elderly retired dentist and his wife, she produced a handgun and rushed towards them firing at each and striking at least one of the ak47 toating bad guys and making them retreat. details where vague at the time but will post corrections asap. the couple avoided any wounds but their vehicle was not as lucky. it's strange that not much was mentioned in the media of this incident.

[ 09-27-2002: Message edited by: grandadmorgan ]

Grandad, at first I thought you were making that up, then I read the post after yours.

Glad that I live in the great state of legally packing Texas. Now if we could convince those other states.

Packin big iron and shootin hot lead

GrandDad,

Try this link. It will give you a mathmatical answer to your question, good for comparsion purposes. http://benchrest.com/sst/recoil.html

Nodak7mm
cool.gif

hey texas,
Doc & his wife are ffl dealers in north texas, in fact i had a display table set up across from them last weekend at the mesquite gun show and i had to run those tunic (towel) heads away from my table. i told them that nothing on my table was for sale and was not to be touched, it got a rise from the crowd.
in fact i was called in regards to identify them when captured. if you have any other doubts, talk to chris at s.w.f.a. he read about it and saw a brief description on tv.

Grandad I meant no direspect
blush.gif
, it this world of ours now somethings sound so far fetch( more like unbeliveable)but, they are true. I am very glad that they stood up and didn't get hurt.

Packin big iron and Shootin hot lead.

To give you an idea on recoil, yes the 300 Ultra Mag kicks very hard. The local gun shops where I live keep getting rifles in that are essentially brand new, most with less than 20 rounds through them. The reason is that the recoil is too much for most guys to handle. I looked at one the other day, factory Remington that must have weighed under 9 pounds and had no muzzle brake. The recoil on a gun like that must be punishing to say the least. Remington brought this cartridge out as a hunting round in hunting rifles. By hunting, I mean regular walk around, shoot at deer with a light rifle, type hunting. For that purpose, why would anyone want a mule kicker like the 300 Ultra? What practical purpose does it serve?
For us long range hunters, it is an ideal case for launching heavy, high BC bullets with enough velocity to reach way out there. I am planning on building one myself.
For a typical deer rifle though, which it is used most commonly for, I just don't get it. Imagine setting down at the bench with an 8 pound rifle and shooting 15 or 20 shots!

thanks longrangers for your replies, i just returned from shooting my newly acquired 300 win mag and it was quiet manageable with it's break. it got me thinking, maybe i should get that 300 ultra mag or even go full tilt with that 338 lupua, but then my mind took control from my testicles and i decided that i would take the advice given to me by the participants of this board and begin more practically.
so now i've decided to stay with the 300 win mag, but have yet another question. during a phone conversation with a friend about my shoot i mentioned that i cut my shoot a little short after only 120 rounds due to my concern over barrel heat damaging my swarovski scope since i used short rings. he stated that this rifle was not made to shoot like my assault weapons and that it would not last long.
is this true, and if so, is a bull barrel a remedy?
thanks again.

Primetime,

I am glad that the hairy chested magnum craze has spawned such cal. as the Ultra mag. Sure beats the price of 30-378 brass.

I know a guy who bought a 30-378 so that he would have the biggest stick in town. No joking!!! He uses it for mulie and whitetail and I think his longest hit last year was around 125yds. He feels that the 180gr nosler BT didn't do enough damage.

Go figure...

If they build it, someone will buy it. How practical is a big block in a mustang? Sure fun though.

Jerry

PS my prediction is that gun rags will start to promote classic cartridges again. Soon everyone will be singing the praises of such elephant slayers as the 7 Mauser and 30-06. Nothing new in the firearms industry. Just got to rehash old ideas to make them new and saleable again.

If your shooting your barrel 'till it's hot enough to damage a Swavorski scope, you're REALLY not letting your barrel cool enough.

How many rounds did you fire in a row without cleaning and letting the barrel cool. On my Lapua I only fire five and clean and let the barrel cool (sporter weight), on my STW (VERY heavy) I'll fire 10 and let it cool and clean. I'm kinda anal about letting my rifles cool and keeping the barrels clean, they cost to **** much money to burn out quickly.

How many shots do you fire in a row?

Jim

jim,
this rifle was used when i purchased it a couple of weeks ago and by all opinions and from the original owner it was broken in correctly. i had planned on a new remington 700 with brake but the only break at the show was this broken-in winchester. i figured i could always order one if i liked the rifle and i do, but i want to shoot a 3 or 4 hundred rounds when i go out. what your opinion?

On a normal range day, it takes me about 4 hours to fire 50-75 rounds. This includes set-up cleaning changing targets etc. If you want to shoot 3-4 HUNDRED rounds in a day, that's up to you. Remember though, this is a sport of precision, not volume.

Jim

hey jim,
thanks for the information, it helps. i'll try to slow things down a bit next time.
there was a huge traffic jam leading into dallas this afternoon, so i took a detour and stopped by a local shop, the only gun shop that i had not previously contacted about a rifle and there was a brand new sako trg-42 sitting on the display case, so i instantly picked up the tag, but ****, it was in 308.
i had been beaten by the 300 win mag bug but couldn't find a quick fix in eiter a custom or high end box stock but for a second i thought that things had changed.
a salesman greeted me and asked if he could be of assistance, and i said "only if that was in 300 win mag", and he said " you mean like the one in the cabinet behind you?"
well, i just finished mounting my swarovski on it and will break her in slowly tommorrow evening. she has a large break on her and a somewhat heavy barrel that might help if i get a bit carried away,
it's not a custom but i'll have something else to look forward to.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts