Kelty cache hauler

82ndreddevil

For my ibex hunt this year I am thinking of going with this pack frame. I figure I can start off by carrying my day pack on it until I bag a billy, then hopefully get that whole critter down the mountain with him on my back. How does this frame hold up to weight? The set up appeared more versatile then the alps commander

There are a whole lot better packs for hauling weight than a Kelty. Depending on your budget I would look at a Kifaru Bikini or Duplex frame and bag . Maybe a Bernie's of Alaska frame if your heart is set on a metal frame. You need to look for functional load lifters if you are going to pack over 50 lbs. Youmight look ar Rokslide.com for backpack advice.

Thanks for the info! I think most of those are out of my price range since I need to upgrade my binos. I am thinking about not getting a whole new frame, but just using my back packing bag. I know it Cary's well with heavy loads. If you come up with any other ideas I'd like to hear them. Thanks

Ahhh gotcha! One of these days I'll get drawn!

Hunted the Mid-Asian variety in Kyrgyzstan last year. They are up at 14k feet there. Good luck, they are fun to hunt, if fun means torture. ;)

Kevin

That is awesome you made that trip, very cool. I am really looking forward to the hunt. I went down there recently to assess where I am at physically. I am currently working on getting in the best shape of my life. I'm looking forward to the suck factor

I disagree with Daveinjax on this one....I've had 9 different Kifaru packs in the past, and the Kelty Cache Hauler smokes them all on heavy loads in my experience and testing.

I've done a lot of heavy load testing over the last spring and winter, and the Kelty CH is one of the two the most comfortable I've used.

The Kelty is very comfortable at heavy loads, but it does have weaknesses. With any external frame pack your shoulder movement will be limited, and it will seem a bit rigid and clunky. Also, it'll be noisy if you're busting brush. And you have to realize that you can get one of these on sale for $95, so the fit and finish are what they are....you will probably need to plan on scrapping the stock wings and the load shelf. Rope or a ratchet strap will hold up a lot better for securing a big load in my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.