Just starting out.

Tricky

Hey I'm new here.
My name is Scotty from Utah. Just doing research on starting to reach out a little further while hunting big game such as mule deer, elk, moose. After watching a trophy deer walk off the mountain at 700 yards I figured it's time to learn. Been shooting a 270 and 300 win mag. Never have I used moa or mead scopes so here I am to look around and ask around!

Hey Tricky, what part of Utah are you from? I have lived in Idaho for 14 years but was born & raised in northern Utah. I shoot a 300 win mag & it has turned out to be my favorite rifle. Lots of dead bears , deer & elk with it.
Welcome aboard,
Thanks Kirk

Although both the 270 and 300 are good big game calibers, the 300win mag would be a better rifle to start a transformation to an effective longrange rig. So tell us a little more about the 300. Manufacturer, model, barrel length and contour, trigger, stock, optic, bases rings and information on any shooting and load development you've done. I'll let you know that my recommendation would be to handload some Berger 215grain hybrids. They are awesome bullets that slip threw the wind and kill elk effectively at longrange.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.