Just got my Oehler 35

G

Yup
The wife just gave me my B-day gift...A little late but worth the wait.

Anyway She got me the 35 without the printer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif No worries I can upgrade. My question is it came with the 2 foot rod. Can one be made from conduit for a 4 foot rod? Or should I just order one? Also...Awhile back I saw Ian had some great way to set these up. Emailed someone the procedure..If I could beg to get those that would be great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Any tips on this thing before I take it to the range.

Thanks guys

Joe

I decided to be thrifty and didn't get the 4 foot pipe, figuring that I could measure as well as the next guy. For whatever reason, my numbers were bogus, untill I had them send the factory pipe, conduit, whatever it is? As I recall, there are some very precisely located dimples that orient the screens? The fifty bucks still seems a bit steep, and I don't know why the four foot piece is not standard? I will never use the two footer.

You really, really want to get the printer. It eliminates a pad and pencil and a lot of needless copying from the LED display.

Good hunting. LB

Lablover,
I beieve we were discussing setting up the screens using a laser to get them parallel to the flight of the bullet. I was using a simple laser pointer, more recently I obtained an actual bore-laser that works even better.

You need two guys for this process, and a decently adjustable set of stands.

.. confirm that the rifle is empty
.. aim the rifle at the target
.. setup the Skyscreens and stands, 10' in front of the muzzle
.. roughly move the stands to align with the target area
.. with the screens placed in front of the target and the second guy adjusting the stands, have him hold a dark piece of cardboard directly over the screen, starting with the front screen.
.. send the laser down the line of the bore, hitting the cardboard. Adjust the closest stand and screen till the height is about 4-5 inches over the screen and dead center.
.. move to the farthest screen and repeat.

Aways fire a shot or two to check the setup - the closer your two numbers are to each other the better the setup.
ian

Differt point of view:

I use the 2' screens and am very pleased with the results. The set-up is fast and easy, requiring only one person to get it aligned. I use a quality Bogan tri-pod that has 2 bubble levels built into the head which makes set-up even faster.

I have very precisely measured and adjusted the screen spacing and have confidence in my readings. The 4 ft rig may be a tad more accurate but I can't see how it is worth all the extra equipment and time to set-up.

The 2 ft set-up is fast, light and easy. Try the 2' bar first before you go to the 4' bar and let us know how the readings compare. I'd sure be interested to know.

VH

Hopefully I'll get to the range this weekend. Turnin out to be a busy week

I will try the 2 foot first.
Joe

I have a rediculously complicated system for holding my skyscreens, made by a machinist friend and it works perfectly. Uses two Bogen tripods and special dovetail holders - no measuring required as the screens contact machined shoulders that separate them exactly 2.5 and 5.0 feet apart. In the old days, with my 33 system I used ten foot screen spacing - shot the heck out of screens, used an old surveyors tripod and a ten-foot piece of square tubing.

Big thing is to get the screens in a perfectly straight line with the path of the bullet. You can check this by the numbers given, if you get too far out the computer will print an * which means error. By moving one end a tad up or down the numbers will come lower. The laser gives me really good setups, my numbers are usually less than ten or fifteen fps between the first and second screens.

Always carry an extra battery, a small tape measure to get the correct setup distance from the muzzle, and pen and data book for your records. I also keep one extra screen in my kit in case I blast one. Before I went to the laser I always set the screens up with a small level, not I use it for horizontal only.

Good luck with your new toy!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.