Just getting started

Al8095

Hey guys, Im new here but Ive been reading a bunch of your posts and I appreciate everything, learned a lot. Ive been shooting a 7mm ultra mag for about 6 months at 500 yds. Ive been reading a lot on reloading lately and I am thinking a good press for me would be the RCBS Ultra mag. For everything else I am getting confused. It would be great to have some suggestions for the other tools. I'm thinking the RCBS case master for sure but the dies, neck turners and everything else im not sure. What else would I be smart to start with? Thanks

Al,

Welcome aboard!

A SHORT list of tools are of course, press and shell holders, priming tool, dies ect... Some things needed for the best accuracy are , a good set of calipers, primer flash hole deburrer and primer pocket uniformer. Neck turining tools, and perhaps a concentricity guage and a comparator.

Someone else can fill in the rest.
smile.gif

Buy a book on reloading first. Read it and than buy just the basics and learn how to reload. Once you get the basics down than start buying the extras as you feel they are needed. If you get to much stuff right from the start the process will get confusing and the chance of making a BAD mistake will increase. Don't want to do that. Buying something like a neck turner right of the hop will only cause you problems.

I agree with Harve. I would get a basic RCBS starter kit a good set of calipers and start makeing some bullets. As you go you'll figure out what you need,want ; case trimmer,neck turning tool ,concentricity gauge ect. ect. pretty soon you,ll have a whole room full of stuff too.

Meichele you said it best. If you are going to be loading ammo for extreme range you will be needing the tools Meichele was kind enough to mention. They aren't that hard to use and since you are in a learning mode it is best to start out right.You will not be satisfied with making inferior ammo,good quality ammo is the desire of most reloaders
I know and shoot with. i would have been grateful to have known what tools would do this right off the bat but I had to learn on my own over many years.

If you get all the extras like a primer pocket uniformer, neck turining tools, concentricity guage, a comparator, and other stuff right away, I hope you have a good friend that knows how to use them and will show you how to use it all. I have been reloading for over 10 years and still dont use most of the specality stuff. My handloads shoot MOA or better past 500y. Dont get too carried away until you need to.

[ 02-12-2004: Message edited by: Harv ]

Al
I mustly started in the same boat. Wanted to start reloading some years ago and had no one to teach or draw references from. Made a lot of mistakes along the way but none with the actual loads, just equipment that I bought. I would sugeest making some minor purchases to start with. One good book is Hand Loading for Competition from www.zediker.com, this covers alot of the special tools and their use. he is rather biased but still a good read. www.sinclairintl.com will have all the tools you may want or need. Another good source for self tought is the 2 video series from David Tubb on reloading available from many sources but Seirra has them. The new RCBS will work great with the 7mmRUM. The rock chucker is a little sort for that case. I have been working with the RUM for about a year now and if you have questions just ask.

Hey, thanks everyone. I am planning on ordering a book(or two) this weekend. I definitely want to load very precise ammo but I am worried about trying to start off too fast. I messed up and typed "RCBS" Ultra Mag, and I meant the Redding Ultra Mag. The Rock chucker is too short for the ultra isn't it? That was what I thought about first but then I read the dimensions are barely too short. Thanks Budman, what press do you use for your ultra mag? I hate to say I will probably be bugging you soon since you have experience with the ultra. Thanks!

That's cool, I happen to be fishing in Florida right now, leave tomorrow. Hotel I'm at has wirless access, pretty cool. I've been catching some monster bass, got a 10 pounder tuesday. That's good timing it will give me some time to get started on things. Thanks a lot!

Al
I am currently using the Rock Chucker but it isn't fun. I have to wait till the wife gets over all the other tool purchases befor I order. Plan to order the Redding this time. Midway I believe has them for around $200. I will not be by a computer after next week for 4 weeks hopefully as it's time to HEAD SOUTH
cool.gif
She lets me hunt all I can but she gets 4 weeks in Florida in exchange. Thank God I love fishing too or I would go nuts.

I would say Meichele has it again. Now, if we are talking what we would buy, then I would buy better than what most would buy. If you are wanting to load for longer ranges, than you will not be happy with the everyday stuff. And what most seem to be missing, you will save money in the long run by not purchasing things that can't do what you want of them. You started good with the Redding press, now I would buy only Redding dies, or maybe Forster or Bonanza, preferably the Comp. Grade dies, or a type that excepts the bushings. Also, I would buy a Wilson brass trimmer, that will do some other jobs as well. It is the best, and not as expensive as some would think. Some type of "Culver" powder measure. A good beam scale, Redding shell holders, a powder trickeler, and mayhap a good neck turner. Also I would purchase an inside primer pocket uniformer (I like Russ Hayden's) and a flash hole uniformer. Sinclair's is good, but expensive. Go to there web site and order a catalog. They do have a great catalog. I haven't found any reloading tools to complicated that I could not figure it out. I started reloading by purchasing a Rockchuker reloading kit, and will honestly say that I am not satisfied with it. It may be ok with everyday folks, but when you learn what it will not do, you soon understand. You will never get your money back for any reloading purchase that you make. Think long and hard what you want to do, and ask lots of questions. Ask why people use what they do, and what they prefer, and why. Then make YOUR judgement by what you think YOU want to do. The guys on this site are great, and a big help, good luck!! We are all on the same path, lets try and not make some of the same mistakes that others before us did!

Thanks for the input Littletoes. I think I will go ahead and buy the brass trimmer, neck turner the flash hole uniformer. I know it maybe confusing to try and start with all of this equipment and learn to use it right, but I would rather tough it out now so I can be making better ammo sooner. I am the type that would not be satisfied if I knew I wasn't doing everything possible to make the best ammo. I have only begun to scratch the surface of all the good info in this forum. I log on to read something and end up on here for hours. Thanks everyone

Don't mean to steal the OP's thread, but just a quick question: For F/L sizing of magnum brass, would a Forster Co-Ax do the trick, or is something larger like a Rockchucker Supreme, Big Boss, or Ultra-Mag in order?

Thanks,

Monte

I load for 30-378 and 300 RUM with a plain jane RCBS rockchucker. COL 3.762 with the 30-378 and 200gr Accubonds. 3.695 for the RUM, same bullet.

FL sizing is no problem but you have to "duck" the bullet and case together into the die when sliding it in the shell holder for the seating operation. Which is what I think Budman is referring to as not being fun. But it works.
HPA

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts