Just for fun....Ultimate LRH Build!!

FullCurlHunter

Whats up guys, I am relatively new to the longrangehunting members but have been learning quite a bit....

I thought this would be an interesting topic and I would like to see all of your guys' feedback!

What would your ultimate long range hunting rig for big game be if you had $5000 to put towards it?

From what I have read as well as what I have picked up over the years, i decided my dream LRH rifle is as follows! Let me know what you guys think, this may be a possible build in the near future!!

Action, Barrel and Muzzle brake by Shawn at DefensiveEdge.net:

-Remington 700 stainless Steel action - squared and trued
-27.5" Hart Barrel (SSor Chro-moly??) contour #6 or 7 chambered in .338 Edge
-Defensive Edge Muzzle Brake - matching the barrel contour
-Either a brown precision thumbhole stock or McMillan ADJ-HTG stock.
-Nightforce optics 3.5-15X50mm NXS with MP-1RR, NP-R2 or NP-1 reicle???
-And I am not sure which rings and bases would best fit this setup...
-I wouls shoot 300 gr. SMK's to take advantage of the 338 edge's ballistics as well as the high BC of the bullet for long range accuracy. For hunting I would think about switching to an 225 gr. accubond or a 250 gr. sierra game king.

Do guys' use ballistic software out in the field on a palm pilot or is that a myth?

Thanks guys, hope to hear some feed back as well as some of your LRG builds!

Hi FCHunter, good to have you here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

If your thinking about an "Ultimate" LR gun i'd look close at the 338 snipe tac and .408 chey tac. I've heard the .408 keeps up to or exceeds the .50BMG out to 2500y with the 419gr(?) lost river match bullet.
.338 snipe tac is just a necked down .408CT and from what i have read it will push a 300gr Matchking at 3400fps, punch them figgers into a ballistics program and you should get a read out like this.....

EDIT: Ok the drop chart keeps screwing up when i post it but a 200y zero will land you 43.3MOA low at 1760y with a velocity of 1550fps and 89.5MOA low at 2500y with a velocity of 1092fps.

Ofcouse you could just get a 155mm....Pest control from 10,000+y /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif .

Well........Hmmmmmmm

I'd upgrade the whole idea. May as well burn all of those funds. Check w/Shawn and go for the 16# version of this: Link

BTW, you did say "ultimate LR build" but also included hunting. This'lldoer!

[ QUOTE ]
Remington 700 stainless Steel action - squared and trued
For hunting I would think about switching to an 225 gr. accubond or a 250 gr. sierra game king.

[/ QUOTE ]

considering these things what you have described would be ideal

d-a

If i had unlimited funds to produce the ultimate in longrange North AMerica hunting guns I would do as follows:

Caliber would be .338 either the 338AM or SnipeTac--or the 338 Kahn if recoil would be too bad in the 408 casing
BAT Action
28-30" Carbon wrapped BBL
Holland QD Brake
Jewell Trigger set at 2lbs
Some form of McMillan stock in a hunting style, not tactical
NightForce 3.5-15x56mm in Mil Dot LR Reticle
I would use Leup PRW rings on whatever steel tactical base
I would use the 300gr Wildcat ULD for most game and the 325gr Bonded Flatbase for bear

I would get Kirby Allen to build this hog for me and hopefully with it nothing in North America would be safe. Hopefully the recoil would not be horrible!!!!!

I know the Kahn uses a belted case so I would rather use the 408 wildcat cases but I am kinda leary of the recoil in a 10lb rifle. From what I can figure the Kahn is the next step down in power from the Allen Mag and SnipeTac.

For practical purposes I think your rig would work perfect, but if we are gonna dream lets dream BIG

take it easy
steve

Lerch

If funds are unlimited you don't have to worry about recoil. Just have Shawn mill you out one of these artificail shoulder sockets.

398027.gif

Well guys, I hate to blow the budget a little. I'd have to charge up the AMEX to about $8800 with optics and build one of THESE. and top it with a S&B 5-25x56 PM II. I could hunt any game in africa....... from my back porch! 1173g bullet at 2700fps. Can I pre-order a backup rotator socket now?

Well if I ever win the lottery I will have to have you order me one of those, Maybe sunglasses will help keep my eyes in thier sockets!!!!

My grandad is a former worldchampion trap and sporting clays shooter. About 15 years ago he started having severe neck pain and when he went to the doctor they told him that he had shot so much that he had seperated a few disks in his neck.

After he had surgery on it he quit trap and moved to sporting clays because of the smaller amount of fire. Within a year or so he was senior champion and captain of the senior olympic champ

I guess that talent aint genetic cause I cant hit crap at trap!!!

take it easy
steve

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not lieing either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!!

J/K Lerch.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not lieing either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!!

J/K Lerch.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.