Jack Rabbits

Red Neck

Does any one here hunt jack rabbits at long rang. Here in Texas we have a whole bunch of em. Last weekend I shot 13 jacks in one morning of hunting. I usualy set up a home made bench on the corner of a large field early in the morning with my .308 in hand (great practice for deer season)then pick them off as they come out of the tree line to feed at various ranges. last time out I got one on the first shot at a laser found range of 748 yards not much left but they make good coyote bait.

Long ago when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, CA I spent some time shooting jacks in the desert and on some farms. The things were everywhere and not very welcome on the produce farms.

I used a 30 Gibbs and the 125 Sierra, it was pretty hard on those jacks, we'd shoot until we were out of ammo and switch to a backup gun. I did learn that a 22 Magnum shooting the solid bullets vice the hollow points was pretty much useless on jacks, on the other hand a 44 magnum and 240s worked pretty well.

748 yards on a jackrabbit is pretty good shooting!

I love to hunt Jacks. Actually I should have an article coming out in "Varmint Hunter" on hunting them at the Rio Bonito Ranch (If anyone want's an advance copy let me know). I use a custom 7 STW with a 115 sierra varminter to cause the little suckers to explode. They are great fun and you are right, they are great practice for deer. But most of all I like to watch them explode.
grin.gif

Jim

I use a custom 7 STW too. I shoot the 120 grain moly V-max right at 3800, it really launchs them.
Vince

I have shot them at 600 yds.+ w/ 6x284 and they make great coyote bait. Some people don't believe it when you mention a long shot of this range until they see it for themselves, then they are sold on the longrange ideal. I can't say I blame them. My shooting mentor/instructor is a Wimbledon Cup Champion and I had to go to the range and see it for myself - and man did I get the bug.
Gator

Shot a few when we were out p dogging. But I haven't ran in to any in large numbers. But this summer. The garden was well protected from my bed room window with my 223. More them one cotton tail bit the big one when he was in there stealing. Cotton tails go poof at 80 yds.
smile.gif

After deer season i would lace up the snow shoes and head out into the field with my .22lr. Lots of fun. Have taken many out at 150 yards. The mill dot scope i had on sure came in handy when the wind picked up. Prety good eaten too, them rabbits. Does anyone know if u can make jerky from them?

Here in Wyoming we don't have alot of them, and if we want to see them, it's usually at night that we have the best luck.

Spotlighting for jacks is a blast! I've shot them at night with a spotlight out to about 400 yds. Used a 220 Swift mostly. I did get a couple at 40 and 45 yds in New Mexico during daylight though, with a Walther .40 S&W auto pistol.

Great fun and good practice. Helps keep the numbers in check too. On a bad winter they will invade our haystacks bigtime if we don't keep em in check. Up here they turn white when it gets cold, and if there isn't snow on the ground; they show up great in the spotlight.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.