Ivey 150 moa adjustable scope rings.....

BTW, when using the CZ550 Safari Magnum with the .505 case head size (read CheyTac) on the bolt (.640"), the bolt thrust is increased, and the maximum working pressure is 3800 BAR or 55,100 PSI. With the RIGBY case head (.590"), there is much less bolt thrust and thus can be loaded as HOT as a Lapua, as long as the cases hold up. I have yet to have any extraction problems and I shot that MAX load year-around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I wonder how fast a .338 AM would shoot if you could ONLY load it to 55,000 psi??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Therein lies the reason for a custom BIG action. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hmm.. if the 416 bell brass holds up as well as lapua, thats a very nice thing.

Also, I see him offering the accurate reloading wildcats. 416 AR, wich is the ballistic twin of the rigby, but does it in the standard remington action. 375 Rum cut down to 2.65 and necked up. Does 2450fps with moderate pressure. Wich would be cool, if its better then remington brass!

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I see him offering the accurate reloading wildcats. 416 AR, wich is the ballistic twin of the rigby, but does it in the standard remington action. 375 Rum cut down to 2.65 and necked up. Does 2450fps with moderate pressure. Which would be cool, if its better then remington brass!

[/ QUOTE ]

My next "BIG UN" will be a .470 Mbogo!!! It's a Rigby case that has been improved and necked up to .475". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It is capable of shooting a 500gr. bullet to 2650fps, with no pressure problems and a 24" barrel. Recoil is up there with a .460 WBY. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Me and BJ read up a lot on the SLR system and the Ivy system. We choose the Ivy because I liked the looks a lot better and it more closley resembled a traditonal mounting style.

Our plan is too use the Ivy adjustment to zero out to about 3000yds and then use the internal adjustment of the scope to fine tune it in.

After that it should be simple to kill something at 2 miles,

Right????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

take it easy
steve

Lerch,

Yep its easy to kill something at 2 miles, just have to hit it with a bullet. No different then any other range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Oh, Okay!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds pretty simple then. Ready to see this rig in action

steve

Mindcrime: yeah, I have been reading about the Mbogo, watched the movies a couple(!!) a couple of times as well. He seems to soak up the recoild pretty well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would probably do a .458 of some sort, just to get cheaper bullets for practice. Maybe a 450 Mbogo, or just do a 450 Rigby?

From a big game perspective, a 400grain .416 cal bullet has a SD of 340. You would have to go up to 500 grains .458 cal bullet to get a equal. But, woodleigh makes 450 grain bullets in .416. Should penatrate anything out there!

Personally, I dont see the gain vs recoil. But if you can handle such a big boomer, go for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fiftydriver,
After looking at these rings on Ivey's web site I was trying to figure out how to make them work on the MOAG (clearance issues because of the barrel block) then I noticed they make a different model the BR30-050MOA that is set up for a Kelbly-davidson style base. I then called BAT and they said they could make me a 50 moa base to take the place of the 20 moa base that I have now. my question is what do you think of this set-up ??????????
UB

Uncle B,

Did you look at the one piece rail design from Ivey? Has the same 150 moa range but is a long one piece rail that you mount to your existing rail base and then mount your conventional rings to this Ivey rail.

Would be taller yet but would offer you 150 moa adjustment+your 20 moa that you have in your rail base. Should offer plenty of clearance over your block and only require you to buy the Ivey rail instead of a set of Ivey rings and a new base rail from BAT.

The system you list should work alright also I would guess but would have to take some measurements to see to say for 100%.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Mindcrime: yeah, I have been reading about the Mbogo, watched the movies a couple(!!) a couple of times as well. He seems to soak up the recoild pretty well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would probably do a .458 of some sort, just to get cheaper bullets for practice. Maybe a 450 Mbogo, or just do a 450 Rigby?

From a big game perspective, a 400grain .416 cal bullet has a SD of 340. You would have to go up to 500 grains .458 cal bullet to get a equal. But, woodleigh makes 450 grain bullets in .416. Should penatrate anything out there!

Personally, I dont see the gain vs recoil. But if you can handle such a big boomer, go for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see the video with the small cute chick, Julie?!? Julie is funny as hell!!! First she gets warmed up with a .45-70, then graduates to the .470 Mbogo.

Interestingly, I have been now looking at the .505 Gibbs as well. It is about as big of a Dangerous Game Rifle you can get without running into great expense with reloading components. The reloading dies and the brass are actually cheaper than the .470 Mbogo's.

On another note, Midway USA had 400 gr., .408 caliber Barnes XLC bullets on sale for $4.99 per 20 bullets. They are discontinued now, so I bought all 35 boxes that they had. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Looks like I need a .408 CheyTac now doesn't it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Talk about a Loooooong Range Elk Rifle!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

btw, the 470 mbogo is from 3" propritary brass, and in order to make it correctly, must be made from this. you CAN make it from rigby basic, but it's a hair short.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I see him offering the accurate reloading wildcats. 416 AR, wich is the ballistic twin of the rigby, but does it in the standard remington action. 375 Rum cut down to 2.65 and necked up. Does 2450fps with moderate pressure. Which would be cool, if its better then remington brass!

[/ QUOTE ]

Howdy,
If you want more information on theA.R rounds, the 416 AR, 458 AR, and 470 AR, you can follow this link to my site
http://www.weaponsmith.com/AR-rounds1.html

Or even more data on the 550 express or 550 magnum.

Some pics, some interesting things

These are ~4% more capacity than the 416 rem, 458 Lott, and 470 Capstick.

These are designed to be the largest, biggest, baddest, and frankly, with the 470, the coolest thing you can put in a standard length action.

CH4D makes dies
Jamison will sooner or later be making headstamped brass.
you can order a reamer from Manson, or, for about the price of a reamer and headspace gage, I can point you to a gunsmith that will do that for you.

416 AR should be able to break 2500 FPS... if you believe a taylor can hit 2400 with a 400gr, then what can you do with an additional 17gr?

The 470 can push 500gr woodleighs to 2400, but why? the last 100fps is all ego and PRESSURE!!!

anyway, here's a pic of the rounds.. pics of some of the built guns are on my sights...

this is no "paper designed, but not made" wildcat

[image]http://www.weaponsmith.com/images/470458416AR.bmp[/image]

Thanks Jeffe.......BTW, I am "woodsracer" over at Accurate Reloading so I am quite familiar with your line as well, and spend most of my time in the Big Bore forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I used to be mindcrime at AR until Saeed cut out my original membership. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I know that this is an old post, but I keep coming back to look at the rings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You wrote that the graduations are in MOA, but the rings are separate. For them to be exact would not the two sections need to be an exact distance apart, just like a sine plate?

Different setups may make the distance between the two rings any random distance making the markings....well, just markings!

edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.