Is US Optics the real deal?

Sean H

Currently I am looking for a new scope for my long range gun and hear great things about US Optics, except for the price. Is US optics really worth the extra money versus a vortex razor gen 2 or a leoupold mark 5 hd?

If you're going to be spending $3k on an optic there are better options out there. I would put Kahles, S&B, Nightforce and ZCO all above USO. (Yes, I've owned them all.)

Ok, so how about in the $2k-$2500 range? Ive never shot second focal plane so i would definitely want a FFP. I just want something ridiculously clear through all the magnification settings. What is your personal favorite?

If weight is not a concern, a Gen II razor is a great choice for a long range gun. I run mine to 1,400 yards (furthest target at my range), and I have zero complaints. You can find them new for ~$1,800, and even cheaper for used. I'm sure an S&B or Tangent Theta is technically better, but neither will help me read wind better.

To me it just boils down to budget. If you can afford an S&B/TT/etc., then go for it. If you're taking money that could otherwise go towards other support gear, or more importantly ammo, than don't hold yourself back because you think you need 'alpha' glass.

In that price range I'd look at the new Nightforce NX8 scopes, after that I'd look at a Vortex. I think a NX8 2-20x50 Mil-C would be a great choice (but I'm a MIL guy).

Seems like at that price range there wouldn't be too many (any?) duds in the bunch, but if you are interested in what WINS in long range competition, precision rifle blog survey says SCHMIDT & BENDER (https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/21/best-scope/):
upload_2019-7-1_16-56-41.png

Interesting, to note that they (Schmidt and Bender) have the highest ranked number of shooters by grouping, but the 4th overall usage at the national matches. Possibly, S&B, strategically offered hard to pass up sponsorships to a select group of shooters??? Very interesting data. Anyone have more tangible insight as to why the results are skewed outside of the popularity percentage?

Of course everybody knows that Schmidt and Bender rains King anywhere but it definitely comes at a price. But that data is very interesting. I'm not sure how they seem to be on rifles of the best shooters but overall their fourth. I do think there is some assistance given to some of these shooters.

If weight is not a concern, a Gen II razor is a great choice for a long range gun. I run mine to 1,400 yards (furthest target at my range), and I have zero complaints. You can find them new for ~$1,800, and even cheaper for used. I'm sure an S&B or Tangent Theta is technically better, but neither will help me read wind better.

To me it just boils down to budget. If you can afford an S&B/TT/etc., then go for it. If you're taking money that could otherwise go towards other support gear, or more importantly ammo, than don't hold yourself back because you think you need 'alpha' glass.
I'll be honest and say I've never heard of tangent Theta but I'll definitely check it out

20 years or so ago US Optics were very popular at sniper matches. Not so any more. Be careful when comparing eye relief. The only scope that hit me was a US Optics at the Allegheny Sniper Challenge in West Virginia where you had to use their gear. FNH police rifles in .308 Win with US Optics 10x scopes. The eye relief sucked.
In fact I have a friend with a US Optics (don't remember the model) on his .300 WM. He has a callous over his eye brow from being hit so much.

Good luck
Jerry

20 years or so ago US Optics were very popular at sniper matches. Not so any more. Be careful when comparing eye relief. The only scope that hit me was a US Optics at the Allegheny Sniper Challenge in West Virginia where you had to use their gear. FNH police rifles in .308 Win with US Optics 10x scopes. The eye relief sucked.
In fact I have a friend with a US Optics (don't remember the model) on his .300 WM. He has a callous over his eye brow from being hit so much.

Good luck
Jerry
Ouch!

Ok, so how about in the $2k-$2500 range? Ive never shot second focal plane so i would definitely want a FFP. I just want something ridiculously clear through all the magnification settings. What is your personal favorite?
I would look at the kahles, zeiss or nightforce as the difference is in the glass and these three really iight up the background ! I had a sightron for my 600 yd shooting and it was a little dark on high power, I tried a zeiss and the difference was day and night !

If you're going to be spending $3k on an optic there are better options out there. I would put Kahles, S&B, Nightforce and ZCO all above USO. (Yes, I've owned them all.)
The new kahles 318 is the one I like. anybody who has one let us know how its worked out

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.