Is the 6.5 Grendel a True Long Range Hunting Cartridge?

Great write up on the Grendal and good discussion. I just aquired a grendal upper and it looks promising. First 2 5 shot groups measured about 3/4 inch with factory ammo. I plan to use it on late season coyotes to add just a little range and a little more knockdown power. Also hoping to take a hog or 2. My brother loves the carttidge for whitetails in Ala. Plenty of punch and very little recoil. AJ

The barrel is a BlackHole 1-8" twist. I played with the 123 A-Max a little bit but settled on the 130s for hunting with the hope that the extra bullet weight would make up for the relatively low velocity from the little round. I shot the blackmtail head on at about 55 yards and recovered the bullet inside the rear hip with a perfect mushroom. Based on what I saw, I wouldn't hesitate to poke an elk in the lungs inside of 250 yards with this combo.

In my opinion, the 6.5 Grendel isn't a long range hunter in any type of hunting from prairie dogs to deer.

What it is is a great shooting mid range AR cartridge, with great shooting factory loaded ammunition from Hornady that makes the 6.5 Grendel a top contender for "best AR-15 cartridge" honors.

I bought the 6.8SPC years ago and was disappointed. I had in my head I was going to be able to buck Texas Panhandle winds and hit coyotes at 500 yards. Didn't happen. Sold the rifle.

When the 6.5 Grendel was introduced i became interested in the "long range AR-15" idea again and ordered a JP.

I received the rifle, mounted a night force SHV 4-16 F1.

I knew i was going to love this rifle/cartridge based on .5 moa groups at 200 yards.

My first opportunity with the rifle was a 80 pound pig running down the 2 track road. I put a Hornady up him and he went down instantly.

Since then I have shot several pigs in the 250 to 350 yard range all neck shots and the kills have been instant. Coyotes as far as 300.

With all that said, a quality built 6.5 Grendel with the new Armageddon Gear Revolution trigger, on a calm day, is capable of 500 yard coyote kills and capable of 3-400 yard pig kills on 150 pounders and im sure the cartridge is capable of ethical white tail kills at 300 yards but that hardly makes the cartridge a "long range hunter" for most members of this site.

Ethically speaking, I'm looking for long range coyote shot's or 5-600 yard speed goat shots, im using either my 6.5 or 6 Creedmoor. If I'm wanting to take 500 yard deer/elk shots, I'm using my 7SAUM. For ethical elk shots past 600 yards, its my 300NM.

I love my 6.5 Grendel and wouldn't think of carrying anything else in the AR-15 frame. With that said, i know its limitations and always got one of my Creeds with me.

I guess it all depends on what you consider long range. Yes, The Grendel has its limitations as far as range and size of game. It is not a Creedmoor.

I have a Whitely 6mmAR which is based on the Grendel. Very accurate and feeds perfectly on the AR15 platform.

100 yards, 107gr SMK@2850FPS, same performance with 105Bergers and Scenars.

That is a very nice round and some good shooting.... when I burn out my 556 I will have to purchase an upper.... those guns would be great for small game, deer and prs shooting comps....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.