Is the 2 MILE KING really the 1.5 mile king?

toddc

What the heck? I ASSumed from the name that the King of 2 Miles was shooting 2 miles. Turns out its 2500 yds? I have been out of ELR for a bit and ASSumed the king needed to stay supersonic to 2 miles. In my head I thought even a Barret or CT based system would have trouble with that but since I'm really not interested in spending the kind of $$$ a build like that entails, I never really paid attention.
Now I see it's being shot competitively with an EDGE. Kinda annoys me since I'm only 8 hrs from there and happen to own an Edge.
I hear so much BS on the boards about velocity a load does and how far some shoot certain loads at certain MOA, that I discount about 90% of what I know isn't reasonable.
Now the NRA is having their facility used for a KING of 2 MILES that is really LESS than 1.5 miles.
Seems like no one in the LR game can keep stuff straight.
I didn't go to this last year solely due to knowing my Edge wayyyyyyy past supersonic at 2 miles. Figured CT or Barrett or LARGER based 375s only.
SMDH.

They shot at a target at the end of the string that was about 2miles 5 times/.

They had a time limit, 15 shots in 9 min. By last string barrels so hot couldn't touch.

Guy who won got most points/hits in earlier targets, It wasn't a deal where guys

go where there are calm conditions, and set all day so barrels cool between shots

and then post about a 4000 yd hit on shot # 14, 24, 34.... They were shooting across

desert canyons, hot hot weather, winds going up, down, sideways all at same time.

A win there in 9 min is one really earned... Ed

They shot at a target at the end of the string that was about 2miles 5 times/.

They had a time limit, 15 shots in 9 min. By last string barrels so hot couldn't touch.

Guy who won got most points/hits in earlier targets, It wasn't a deal where guys

go where there are calm conditions, and set all day so barrels cool between shots

and then post about a 4000 yd hit on shot # 14, 24, 34.... They were shooting across

desert canyons, hot hot weather, winds going up, down, sideways all at same time.

A win there in 9 min is one really earned... Ed
Not taking anything away from the winner. Phenomenal performance. Just seems like calling a 600 yd shot as being 1k. It isn't. Lotsa guns will play at 600 that have no chance at 1k. Same thing with 2500 and 2 miles. I discounted the 2 mile race as something I wanted nothing to do with since the BC and FPS needed to stay supersonic are incomprehensible.
The 2500 yd challenge would have been a better name.
I guess I just feel like it is misrepresenting what the shoot is really about and also i'm a lil ****y because I live 8 hrs away and have an Edge or 2 and would love to shoot a shoot like that one.....just not a 2 mile shoot where I would be 500 FPS transonic.

I think calling it the "2 mile" the greatest way to get interest in this venue.

I have posted about this on a 100 forums, in my 12ga FH and 585 HE threads,

and have never seen such interest in other venues ..The word just have magical effect.

Please go next year, and watch 3 times as many show up. And the two little cartridge

guys doing well, 2nd and 4th no fluke, those two have huge experience and they are the 2 best

wind dopers in the world ..Ed

What the heck? I ASSumed from the name that the King of 2 Miles was shooting 2 miles. Turns out its 2500 yds? I have been out of ELR for a bit and ASSumed the king needed to stay supersonic to 2 miles. In my head I thought even a Barret or CT based system would have trouble with that but since I'm really not interested in spending the kind of $$$ a build like that entails, I never really paid attention.
Now I see it's being shot competitively with an EDGE. Kinda annoys me since I'm only 8 hrs from there and happen to own an Edge.
I hear so much BS on the boards about velocity a load does and how far some shoot certain loads at certain MOA, that I discount about 90% of what I know isn't reasonable.
Now the NRA is having their facility used for a KING of 2 MILES that is really LESS than 1.5 miles.
Seems like no one in the LR game can keep stuff straight.
I didn't go to this last year solely due to knowing my Edge wayyyyyyy past supersonic at 2 miles. Figured CT or Barrett or LARGER based 375s only.
SMDH.

Not sure what you are referring too since there are targets out to 3400 yards, which last I checked is just under 2 miles. That's probably why they call it The King of 2 Miles.

There aren't any caliber restrictions, you can use what ever you want if you think you can use effectively. Just because one owns an "Edge" doesn't mean they will be competitive. Its a competition, and the nature of competition is for the competitor to know himself and his equipment. So either you don't know your equipment very well, or you know it well enough to make the decision no to compete. That is for you to make the call, not the forum guys.

These public boards are not guaranteed true information. And just because you ASSumed that a round had to be supersonic to two miles to even be considered, does not make that fact. In reality, if properly designed and stabilized, a projectile can maintain high degrees of precision through the transition from supersonic to subsonic flight.

I don't understand why any of this upsets you. Not showing up to a match is your own choice. And in fact it is a 2 mile competition. How many matches of any discipline do you know of that are won with perfect scores? At 2 miles the target is .75 MOA tall, and 1 MOA wide, and you will likely have less than 5 minutes to hit it with a maximum of 5 shots, and that is only if you earn the chance to shoot at it.

Not sure what you are referring too since there are targets out to 3400 yards, which last I checked is just under 2 miles. That's probably why they call it The King of 2 Miles.

There aren't any caliber restrictions, you can use what ever you want if you think you can use effectively. Just because one owns an "Edge" doesn't mean they will be competitive. Its a competition, and the nature of competition is for the competitor to know himself and his equipment. So either you don't know your equipment very well, or you know it well enough to make the decision no to compete. That is for you to make the call, not the forum guys.

These public boards are not guaranteed true information. And just because you ASSumed that a round had to be supersonic to two miles to even be considered, does not make that fact. In reality, if properly designed and stabilized, a projectile can maintain high degrees of precision through the transition from supersonic to subsonic flight.

I don't understand why any of this upsets you. Not showing up to a match is your own choice. And in fact it is a 2 mile competition. How many matches of any discipline do you know of that are won with perfect scores? At 2 miles the target is .75 MOA tall, and 1 MOA wide, and you will likely have less than 5 minutes to hit it with a maximum of 5 shots, and that is only if you earn the chance to shoot at it.
This wasn't something I saw on a forum. It was multiple articles online.
Maybe it was the coverage of the event that lacked. Seemed like the writeup on it recorded no 3400 shots. And the 2015 the coverage said it only went to 2500. Probably my misunderstanding of the event coverage. It wasn't the best articles on it.
So there were in fact shots taken to 2 miles? The event coverage seemed to imply there wasn't.

And my main point is that if a shoot is labeled a 2 mile shoot, many people will ASSume from the name alone that they need a 2 mile capable setup to even show up. Showing up to a 1 mile shoot with a 223 is about as effective as showing up to a 2 mile shoot with an Edge or Lapua.
I'm sure I'm not the only dunce who saw 2 MILE SHOOT and thought "Oh well, no way I'm building something that can even think of being supersonic at 2 miles".
I would imagine that a lot of people never even considered going due to thinking the rigs they were running were going to be severely outclassed. An Edge can play at 2500 but 3500?
Seems that the name of the shoot will keep a lot of people from even looking into it is all. No way am I going to try to play at 3500. 2500 I'm all in.

BTW congrats on your guys showing. Stupendous display of shooting. Understand I am not trying to take anything away from the guys who shot. Just thought the name was a tad misleading to a goofball such as myself. Thanks for all you guys do.

Maybe it was the coverage of the event that lacked. Seemed like the writeup on it recorded no 3400 shots. And the 2015 the coverage said it only went to 2500. Probably my misunderstanding of the event coverage. It wasn't the best article on it.
So there were in fact shots taken to 2 miles? The event coverage seemed to imply there wasn't.

Thanks!

Yes, I think there were 4 or 5 guys that progressed all the way to the 3400 yard target. There were no hits on the 3400 yard target, and this isn't a hidden fact. A couple shots came close, but the impact area was making it very difficult to spot impacts, so we just kept making guesses. We had an impact within about 3 feet of the target with the .375 Lethal and the new Berger prototype. And again, keep in mind just how small the target is, the time constraints, and the limited number of shots.

A lot of the press releases focused on us pulling off first round hits on every target out to 2500 yards.

The King of 2 Miles started out as a way to demonstrate ELR shooting under time and shot constraints and rewards making hits in less shots. The goal is to achieve 2 mile hits in these conditions on demand, not get a hit in 40 shots over the course of a day on a 2 or 3 moa target.

The King of 2 Miles is a race to achieve this type of consistency driven by competition. Its 2 years in the making, and I don't think anyone expected to get there right away.

Thanks!

Yes, I think there were 4 or 5 guys that progressed all the way to the 3400 yard target. There were no hits on the 3400 yard target, and this isn't a hidden fact. A couple shots came close, but the impact area was making it very difficult to spot impacts, so we just kept making guesses. We had an impact within about 3 feet of the target with the .375 Lethal and the new Berger prototype. And again, keep in mind just how small the target is, the time constraints, and the limited number of shots.

A lot of the press releases focused on us pulling off first round hits on every target out to 2500 yards.

The King of 2 Miles started out as a way to demonstrate ELR shooting under time and shot constraints and rewards making hits in less shots. The goal is to achieve 2 mile hits in these conditions on demand, not get a hit in 40 shots over the course of a day on a 2 or 3 moa target.

The King of 2 Miles is a race to achieve this type of consistency driven by competition. Its 2 years in the making, and I don't think anyone expected to get there right away.
Well that clarifies it. The press made it seem like 3400 wasn't even attempted which made it seem to me like calling a 600 YD match a half mile.

And we probably will not to be winning depending on hits at

3400 , but getting all the shots to hit, and I mean all, at

shorter ranges, before we get to 3400. There will be busloads there

next year. Just the words ''2 mile' , and guys really goty interested.Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts