Is Anyone into Inlaying Pearl/Turquoise into Wood?

Troutslayer2

I want to get into inlaying mother of pearl and other materials into wood. I like to power carve and hand carve soft woods but I haven't worked much with tighter grained hard wood. I ordered what I think is everything to do inlay work to give my hands something to do when it's too cold to mess around in the garage. Is anyone into this kind of crafting? I bought a book, watched some YouTube- I'm looking for advice on tools/technique/anything really that would help me get into it. Maybe eventually I'd like to do some knife handles or even large scale projects like tables or serving platters. Any advice for someone who's never tried it before?

1643481383216.jpeg

My cousin has done quite a bit of this - but in a different wood discipline. It is painstaking work with one key being accurate jigs - just a tidbit I took in.

I want to get into inlaying mother of pearl and other materials into wood. I like to power carve and hand carve soft woods but I haven't worked much with tighter grained hard wood. I ordered what I think is everything to do inlay work to give my hands something to do when it's too cold to mess around in the garage. Is anyone into this kind of crafting? I bought a book, watched some YouTube- I'm looking for advice on tools/technique/anything really that would help me get into it. Maybe eventually I'd like to do some knife handles or even large scale projects like tables or serving platters. Any advice for someone who's never tried it before?
Wow that's great that you have the talent to do inlay. Years ago I saw some beautiful work done by true artistic people on high-end rifles. I saw rifles with carvings and then another artist came in and put inlayed Pearl along with precious stones. Rifles that are works of art valued in the six figure $ range. If you are good at what you do there is a niche market for pistol grips, rifle stocks, knives along with furniture/tables ect like you stated. I don't know these artists anymore, but do know that the skills/process were handed down from past generations.
Internet is a good way to find information. The best way is if you could find an artist/crafts person that is older or just getting out of this trade and have them mentor you. Some may just want to teach you just to keep this trade/art alive.
Start working on projects for yourself. If they come out good, then do some for friends. You can then probably do better when doing it for someone else to show off your craft and start collecting $$$SSS.
Many top artists and Crafts persons started out as a hobby and their work became sought out.
I started refinishing wood stocks on firearms from Flintlocks. pistols, and rifles when I was 11. Had some come out so nice that the owners put the firearms up for display and didn't fire them again. I did a lot of "Free" work or just money for materials. The problem I had is that it took so much time that I could not charge enough to make it worth for me to do it. I still do some work, but just for close friends. I have a few stocks left that I'll just do a real nice hand rubbed oil finish and sell. Not doing any checkering anymore. Gave away most of those tools. Just working on fiberglass, kevlar stocks and chassis anymore for builds.
Troutslayer2 - GOOD Luck. I am sure that you will do really nice work. When you get some pieces finished, please post them on LRH for us to see. You are sure to get some customers from this forum.

Some dining room furniture from Italy
Thanks
Len & Jill

Attachments

• Hutch.jpg
    Hutch.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Chair.jpg
    Chair.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited: