Is a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 overkill

Southernfryedyankee

for a deer rifle? Yesterday my GF bought me a Remington 700 30-06 as an early BDAY present and she saidif I wanted my valentines day to be a scope that would be fine :Dgun)She said I had a limit of $450 for the scope. I really like the Nikon 2.5-10x50 but I also like the nikon 3-12x42. I hunt in the woods alot and I am thinking the larger objective may come in handy. I can also get 2 Nikon prostaff 3-9x50's a dednutz scope mount and a lil extra $$$ left over to put torwards the HS Precision stock I want. I just dont know what to do folks, quality or quantity. I really do like the large sight picture with a 50 but thats because thats really all I know and have never had a smaller objective hunting scope. I have a buckmaster 4-12x50 on my 7mag and a Monarch 4-16x50 on my Savage 10FCP. I was considering playing musical scopes but again not sure what to do

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.