Is a LA required to shoot 6.5PRC and 156 Bergers?

BarretWM

Thinking about a new build, I would like to build a 6.5PRC, game plan is not to make it super light weight intent it to use it for NRL/PRS and some hunting. Rough spec looking at McMillan LRH 24-26in, because wanting to use for PRS running mags, and unsuppressed. My question is does one need a LA to optimize the 156 Bergers, or can it be accomplished with a SA? Follow up, what is a go to affordable action? Most, my research is into ultra light long range builds so I'm a fan of the ANTI-X but they just bumped the price on it. Not looking for the lightest action on the market, but still not the heaviest. Any help or info would be appreciated.

I'd go Origin long action if I were you. Not sure about weight side of it but it's "affordable" and you can get prefits for it.

As far as the prc I would go long action unless you are ONLY shooting factory ammo. If you are handloading get the most out of the cartridge and give yourself some extra room. If you want to take it another step further, have a custom reamer made to seat those 156s WAY out there.

I'd go Origin long action if I were you. Not sure about weight side of it but it's "affordable" and you can get prefits for it.

As far as the prc I would go long action unless you are ONLY shooting factory ammo. If you are handloading get the most out of the cartridge and give yourself some extra room. If you want to take it another step further, have a custom reamer made to seat those 156s WAY out there.
" If you want to take it another step further, have a custom reamer made to seat those 156s WAY out there."

Custom reamer is the way to go, I am sure there are quite a few Gunsmiths that have reamers with long throats for the 156s.
In the event you get an already chambered 6.5PRC you can always have a GS use a Uni Throater on it or do it yourself. Be very careful doing it yourself Those UniThroaters cut easy and fast. Use a Modified Case Gauge to determine how much FB you have and need.
If you have a Hornady Gauge and need a case Drilled & Threaded send us a PM. Will make you some for FREE (just $5+) for return shipping.
Thanks
Len & Jill

No, you don't need a LA with plenty medium action options with 3.200 COAL mags…

Bighorn Origin is a good place to start as stated. My 6.5 PRC barrels run on the Origin SA with no problems and according to my notes I'm .015" off the lands in a binder less mag with a .180 throat with the 156s.

Factory Bergara here and shooting 156's at .020" off - I am at 3.050" coal. These will not fit in the magazine, but no problem shooting single-shot. About 2.950" is max. to fit. Going custom - a XM action should be the ticket if you can find a stock that works for you.

No, you don't need a LA with plenty medium action options with 3.200 COAL mags…

Bighorn Origin is a good place to start as stated. My 6.5 PRC barrels run on the Origin SA with no problems and according to my notes I'm .015" off the lands in a binder less mag with a .180 throat with the 156s.
I always forget about the medium actions. Good call

Do you run into any issues shooting the long actions is you shoot the lighter grain bullets. It appears you only need a LA for the 156gn.

Do you run into any issues shooting the long actions is you shoot the lighter grain bullets. It appears you only need a LA for the 156gn.
Why fool with possible feeding issues on a long action when the medium is a viable option…

You don't need a LA to run 156s in a 6.5 PRC. If you're referring to the Tikka "long action" comment above it's a 3.400 action, which is well short of a true LA.

Why fool with possible feeding issues on a long action when the medium is a viable option…

You don't need a LA to run 156s in a 6.5 PRC. If you're referring to the Tikka "long action" comment above it's a 3.400 action, which is well short of a true LA.
Yes, XM would be ideal. Allows for everything you need to run that bullet. Mag space, good feeding, running a custom reamer etc...LA is fine but not always needed when you have a SA case to begin with

Seated to 3" overall the boat tail is barely behind the shoulder. You could gain a tiny bit of capacity/efficiency, but seat much longer and you start seating the boat tail into the neck.

Thinking about a new build, I would like to build a 6.5PRC, game plan is not to make it super light weight intent it to use it for NRL/PRS and some hunting. Rough spec looking at McMillan LRH 24-26in, because wanting to use for PRS running mags, and unsuppressed. My question is does one need a LA to optimize the 156 Bergers, or can it be accomplished with a SA? Follow up, what is a go to affordable action? Most, my research is into ultra light long range builds so I'm a fan of the ANTI-X but they just bumped the price on it. Not looking for the lightest action on the market, but still not the heaviest. Any help or info would be appreciated.
I have one built on a Defiance Deviant Hunter XM size. The XM size allows for loading from a mag to 3.2". With 156s & Lapua brass my COAL is 3.1". You "can not" use a S/A without poking bullet bearing area into the powder column of the case. This is not debatable. It is math. You can do the measurements yourself. It will work in a S/A as long as placing bullet bearing area in the case powder column doesn't bother you.

I would recommend an Impact L/A. If you ever wanted a 300 PRC, 7 PRC etc. just buy the barrel & screw it on. Best wishes. Have fun & stay safe!

Impact: you can buy lighter. Impacts are cut out of 1 piece of stock. Stay away from having to buy separate recoil lug, rail, etc. I just like everything cut out of one piece of bar stock. Like the KISS principle.

Last edited: