iPhone 4s Ballistic Software

all the ipod programs I looked at require the mulitiple weather daat to be hand jammed or picked up from the nearest wx station for the ones with phone connectivity or wifi connection(not likely where I hunt)

which Ipod program allows the DA entry ? I dont see it in shooter or BTFE or Bullet flight.

did I miss it?

I can't find it in BFTE either, I don't have bulletflight so i don't know about it.

It is in Shooter though...

Go to settings on your phone/ipod. Scroll down to the Shooter app and select it. Inside Shooters settings under the section for "Input Options" is "Use Density Altitude". Turn this on.

I just found it last night, when Loner suggested it.

Thanks for the update, I dont have any apps right now , Im trying to decide which one to use...I trust JBM calcualtions but dont know if Ballistic is the program for me yet, I want one with G7 drag cap, ability to enter actual corrections to drag based on actual shooting, coriolis , spin drift , in seperate columns but one that can also include them in the wind correction column ....and ability to load DA .

Shooter is looking very good at this point.

My question for the Shooter app users, how accurate is the powder temp function in your testing?

Last edited:
From Shooters manual

Using your Bluetooth-enabled Kestrel to load atmospheric conditions
If you have a Bluetooth-enabled Kestrel Weather Meter along with a Bluetooth-enabled device running at least version 2.0 of Android, you can pair them and load the readings from your Kestrel directly into the atmospheric inputs of Shooter. This requires you to download the free plugin "Shooter BT Plugin for Kestrel" from the Android Market. In the shot data input screen, touch the Menu button on your device and choose the "Kestrel Atmosphere" option. A dialog will appear asking if you want to download the plugin from the Market. Choose Yes and download and install the app just like any other application from the Market. This plugin is not an app you can find and launch from the application launcher of Android -- it's only accessible from within Shooter as explained below.
Once you have the plugin installed, follow these steps to get your Kestrel talking to Shooter:

1. Turn on your Kestrel and go into the settings and then "Bluetooth". Set Bluetooth to "On" and then go to "Info" and note down the PIN it shows.
  2. On your Android device, go to Settings (not settings in Shooter, settings of Android itself) and then Wireless & Networks. Make sure Bluetooth is enabled and then go to Bluetooth Settings. Touch the "Scan for devices" option and wait for your Kestrel device to appear under the "Bluetooth devices" section. Once it does, touch that device and a dialog will appear asking for the PIN. Type in the PIN that you noted down in step 1 from your Kestrel. It should now say, "Paired but not connected". Once you do this, you never have to do this again. Android will remember your Kestrel device.
  3. Now open up Shooter and choose your firearm and ammo and then once in the Shot Data input screen, touch Menu and go to "Kestrel Atmosphere". You will be brought to a screen showing your paired devices. Touch the device that is your Kestrel and you will be brought to a screen of the current atmosphere readings from your Kestrel (it can take a couple second to start showing the values). Touch the "Load" button at the bottom to get dropped back to the shot data input screen and those values populated into your atmospheric input fields.
When you're using the plugin, you can touch the Menu button on your device and go to Preferences. Here you can set the Default Device. Choose your Kestrel device from that list and the next time you open the plugin, it won't ask you to choose your device again and take you right to the current readings screen. This saves a little time.

Scott , I have a kestrel 4500 BT which I paired with a Samsung pocket phone running Android 2.2 and it works flawlessly for shooter and bullet flight apps.
Now when I moved to the Samsung galaxy tab 2 with android 4.0.3 I can pair the kestrel but each time I try to get the Data from the Kestrel it asks me again for the Pin !!!
Any hints ?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.