Iowa hunters are now allowed to use necked rifle cartridges (with some caliber restrictions)

See proposed cartridge list for 2021/2022. Looks like mostly docile cartridges and no heavy hitters. When i lived in iowa it was shotgun/muzzleloader only in the areas i hunted.

See proposed cartridge list for 2021/2022. Looks like mostly docile cartridges and no heavy hitters. When i lived in iowa it was shotgun/muzzleloader only in the areas i hunted.

That's outdated. You can check out the DNR website that says any cartridge .350 to .50, necked or otherwise.

yea, that is dumb. I feel like someone left out the maximum muzzle energy of 4000 or 4500 ft lbs. Sure hope people pushing the public ground are careful.

It's a slippery downhill slope with stupid regs. Down here they first made black powder cartridge rifles of a design before 1900 .45 caliber and above legal for primitive weapon ie muzzleloader. Then they dropped the black powder.So every redneck bought a nef 45-70. Then they dropped the 1900. Then they dropped the caliber to .35. Now a single shot encore in 35 whelen is legal. But that only applies to the first primitive split. After that centerfire rifles of any caliber can be used.

Law is the same for Mi..
MI is not quite that simple, page 50-51 from 2021 MI Deer Digest
==================================================
In the limited firearm deer zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30 and all deer
hunters in this zone during other deer seasons must abide by the following
firearm restrictions or use a crossbow or a bow and arrow. Legal firearms are as
follows:
• A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
• A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black
powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
• A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35-caliber or larger and
loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but
cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine
combined.
• A firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow, crossbow and firearm.
A .35-caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a
minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.

• A .35-caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external, high-compression power source

No bottlenecks cartridges are allowed in the limited firearm deer zone.

It looks like my old model 94 angle eject in 356 win just became my new iowa weapon. I've killed elk with it so the deer better be worried. Lol

IAshooter....i did build one. Went amazingly good. Told the lgs how to do it. They have built 3 since. I have to build 2 more for family. Thanks to iowa deer regs the 35 whelen is seeing one heck of a following. I used a shilen match select barrel from james at NSS. It puts 3 shots at 100 yds inside my thumbnail. So fun. I shoot it suppressed. No real recoil

Recent Posts