IOR scopes

Pete L

Iam thinking of buting a IOR scope,does anyone else use one and what do you think of it ?? I looking at the sporting/hunting scope not the tactical versions

I've heard the hunting versions are not as good as the Tactical. The Tac scopes are awesome. The MP-8 reticle is an excellent reticle.

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard the hunting versions are not as good as the Tactical. The Tac scopes are awesome. The MP-8 reticle is an excellent reticle.

[/ QUOTE ] I believe that one should stop believing in things they have heard, it sure generates a s??t storm on this forum.eg ballistic co-efficient of a Wildcat Bullet

It's probably a very nice scope, but I just couldn't see buying an IOR without knobs or the MP-8. I don't know how big the dot is in that reticle.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Iam thinking of getting this one http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/02g can anyone tell me what the centre dot overs at 100 yards

[/ QUOTE ]
would you say its about the same size as a Nightforce NP1 DD ret
A bullet hole. The "dot" is very small, and appears bigger in the pic than it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just received the IOR 3-18x42 35mm tube Tactical scope. I haven't mounted it up yet but I sure love it just looking through it. I've also looked through at dusk the Hunting scopes they make as well. I wouldn't hesitate to put one of those one my hunting rifles. In fact this tactical is going on a hunting rifle. I have been EXTREMELY impressed with the glass on all their scopes. The clarity and resolution on the one I have now is just amazing. I'll give it a full workout when I get it mounted up.. just need to find long action 20 moa rail..

I can tell of a first hand experience with an IOR 6-24X50mm 35mm illum. MP8 reticle. I field tested one last fall because I had a lot of customers asking about them.
The glass was superb. I had it mounted on a Browning A-bolt in .300 RUM that I built. I took two whitetails with it last fall, one at 660 yards (laser RF), the other at 1006 yards (laser RF). Great so far, then reality set in.
I had put about 75 rounds through it at that point, one morning a coyote crossed my path. When I squeezed the trigger the scope went blurry. Any adjustment to the scope made no difference.
I called Val at IOR and told him what was going on with it. He asked what I had it mounted on and I told him, then he asked if I was using a muzzle brake, which I was. He then proceeded to tell me that muzzle brakes are "scope killers" and that all the other people in the industry he had talked to agreed, then went on to explain that this was a fairly common occurence with the larger IOR tactical scopes. I explained that the Leupold that once held residence on that particular set-up had withstood 100's of rounds and was still in my arsenal as good as ever. Val told me if I liked the Leupold, put it on the scope killer and he would send me a replacement for the IOR, but not to put it back on the same rifle without taking the brake off. Needless to say I received a replacement scope and someone else is the proud new owner.
If that scope could not make it to the 100 round mark on a .300 RUM, what would a .50BMG do to it? I wonder if he would recommend shooting the big 50 without a brake?

Man, that sucks. They're specifically advertised as being good for a .50, it sounds like Val was just being a jerk--which apparently is common enough many wouldn't touch IORs for that reason.

I got mine through Liberty Optics...if I have a problem he'll deal with Val. A-Bolt 300 RUM here to, but no brake.

That said, I'm not sure "reality set in" is quite appropriate for one occurance when so many others have no problems.

I'd have to hear from some guys that have tried the same scope with a brake. To make a real believer out of me and turn me back to IOR I'd like to hear from some .50 BMG shooters that can attest to the durability of the IOR on .50 BMG. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the IOR optics or Val, He told me they were having trouble with them and that's commendable. On the other hand, I can attest to the durability of Leupold, Nightforce and a few others on .50 BMG's and other big bores with muzzle brakes. When the person that runs the show for IOR over here told me that the scope can't stand up to the blast of a muzzle brake. I choose to stay with the ones that will.

Just mounted one on my 338 Allen Mag, a 9-36x 56mm 35mm main tube. No brake so we will see how it holds up. So far it is performing very well but no real testing done yet, that will hopefully come this weekend.

Sounds like he lenses are not set up for negative g-forces created by the muzzle brakes????

Will report more on my 9-36 in the future.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts