International Travel

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I figured I would post up what happened to us on our recent trip to Africa. We intended to hunt suppressed on this trip. We got our SOT, received our suppresors, and were ready to go. I took my suppressed rifles into customs to get my 4457's done. No problem. Brian and Eric later went to get theirs done and were refused. Told that you can not bring your suppresor back into the US without a commercial import license. I checked with our company that got our export license done so we can ship bullets intl. She confirmed what customs told us. We wound up purchasing suppresors in SA and leaving them there for future use.

So, beware if you are planning to take a suppressed rifles abroad. If you run into a customs agent working by the book you likely will lose your suppresor and possibly more trouble on your return.

How much was the suppressor in SA? Where they the brands we know or local stuff?
When I was in SA I used a suppressed 223 rem the PH had for shooting monkeys and I swear it was louder than any 223 I had ever fired.

How much was the suppressor in SA? Where they the brands we know or local stuff?
When I was in SA I used a suppressed 223 rem the PH had for shooting monkeys and I swear it was louder than any 223 I had ever fired.
We purchased SA brand. Black Momba, I think. They are very nice, considered top end. We paid $300 each.

Next time I go I will plan to just buy one there and leave it like you did. Thanks for the info!
Just stick it in your trousers on the way back.
Why buy one and leave it there? How much are you shooting that it is an inconvenience to wear hearing protection or not.
How does that saying go" If I had your money I'd burn mine"
Just kidding anyone can spend their money on what they want. Buying a $300 suppressor in comparison to a $20K hunting trip is not much.
The import/export laws are crazy between the USA and other countries. Try taking NV out to another Country and then bring back! Forget about Semi Auto AR Style.

Why buy one and leave it there? How much are you shooting that it is an inconvenience to wear hearing protection or not.
Just kidding anyone can spend their money on what they want. Buying a $300 suppressor in comparison to a $20K hunting trip is not much.
The import/export laws are crazy between the USA and other countries. Try taking NV out to another Country and then bring back! Forget about Semi Auto AR Style.
Yeah getting caught with a suppressor in my pants may not go over well lol.

It's always fun jumping through hoops imposed by idiots. I believe the U.K. may have the lowest priced suppressors but horrible firearm policies.

You could always just book a flight to any boarder town in Mexico and just walk across the boarder with it. Then hop on your next flight home. I'm sure Camala and Brandon won't mind a LEGAL U. S. CITIZEN walking across the boarder, but then again that might be where they draw the line. You never know till you try though right? 😆😆😆

Recent Posts