Information needed. NM free range draw hunt for Barberry Sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep Hunting' started by wildcat westerner, Apr 21, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. wildcat westerner

wildcat westerner Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I've drawn a Barberry sheep hunt in December in NM in 33-34, 36, 37 units which surround the Mescalaro reservation. I have not been in this area before and would like to correspond with any successful hunters who have hunted there in any and all topics from a-z. I am recovered from a double whammy of both Cancer and a heart attack and have my doctors' permission to make this hunt and can take the entire time of the season ( 2 weeks plus this year) to do this hunt properly.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Gene S.

Bucklowery likes this.
  2. Recon$$

Recon$$ Well-Known Member

Following.

3. wildcat westerner

What is following?

4. dok7mm

dok7mm Well-Known Member

He is tagging into the thread, as he is also interested in your question.

Cbh1 likes this.
  5. Recon$$

Wildcat I got a otc sheep tag as well but I also drew elk in 37. I know nothing about the sheep but I can't hunt them in 37, pm me, as I do some trips scouting I'll be happy to provide sheep updates in 37 if I run into any and ya curious what advice if any gets given to ya.

6. wildcat westerner

Hello again,
    Now I get it. This is what little information I am gathering. Apparently you have an excellent area to be hunting Elk, in, in terms of quality game to be taken. Also expect to be running into certainly some big mulies, and perhaps some bighorns.
    Apparently you are th guy I wished to stumble into on this website. With all four GMU,s open during this December season that is between 800 and 1,000 square miles. my God! Logic dictates that the vast majority of the 250 hunters will be concentrating on where the majority of the Barbery sheep are: Southwest 34 and Northeast 32, which are linked. I am looking at the his ina contrarian way. Where Everybody is going to be at, I don,t want to be! If a Ram is going to survive hunting pressure, logic dictates it would be in the lesser hunted areas and if the terrain is terrible, so much the better. Does any of this make sense to you? I am feeling that with all my disabilities, I can slowly get where nobody who wants to go out and be back Ina single day will ever get. Two weeks time, but comparison to N. Mexican five day deer seasons, seem almost like a luxury to me. Don't be afraid to give me your honest opinion in this matter.
    WW

7. Recon$$

Logic makes sense to me bud, I plan on getting in there myself.